Running

Running. I was running faster than I had ever run before. If this was a race I'd be ahead by miles. I was running as if my life depended on it, and it kinda did. Honestly maybe this was a race, a race between life and death. In that case, I was just barely ahead of death.

Then, I felt it. The cold, hard ground. The funny thing about running so fast and not looking back, is that you never seem to notice the potholes in the ground. That was exactly my problem. My foot had caught the edge of a pothole and, as a result, I was slammed into the asphalt.

It hurt a lot, but I wasn't hurt. I was immediately drawn back to reality when the pain hit. I just laid there sobbing, unable to stop, it's like all the adrenaline rushing through my veins vanished. I heard a car door shut and the sound of footsteps running towards me, but I couldn't bring myself to move. It hurt too much. What exactly? I wasn't sure yet.

'Oh my goodness! Are you alright, sweetheart?' The voice was sweet, and gentle. I looked up to meet the eyes of a very worried looking lady. She seemed young and she was definitely beautiful.

'I I I .... It hurts.' I whimpered put. It's all I could really think about. My attention was drawn to the sound of another car door closing and more footsteps.

'Liz, is she ok?' Another voice called and I looked to find a woman who looked slightly older than the first but just as pretty. She seemed worried and a little frantic.

'Scar, can you unlock the door and put the first aid kit on the counter in the bathroom. We'll be there in a minute.' The first girl said.

'Yeah, of course. But nothing looks broken right? We don't need to go to the hospital or something?' The second lady responds. The lady in front of me looks me over real quick and tells her I should be fine and she leaves.

'Hey, honey, can you tell me your name?' She asks.

'Ch-Ch-Ch....Ch-Chawlie' I say roughly between my cries.

'Charlie?' She asks and I nod. She continues, 'Ok, Charlie, where are your parents?'

I shake my head and cry harder, not knowing how to tell her I don't have any. She takes my answer and says something about us talking later instead.

'Ok, why don't we go get you cleaned up?' She suggests and I nod. She helps me stand, taking note of my fear to move at the moment.

'Can I carry you?' She says and I nod once again. She softly picks me up putting one of her arms under my bottom for support and starts walking inside. When she puts her other arm on my back, I wince. 'Owie' I whispered.

'I'm sorry.' She apologizes while continuing to walk.

A/N: Ah, the first chapter. I'm sorry if you're familiar with my book 'Everything I Have Ever Wanted' but the chapters in this book are gonna be a lot shorter because it's more manageable for a book that is meant to tie over readers who are waiting on new chapters for that book. Anyways I hope you enjoy.
Love,
EJ <3