Connection

Scarlett's POV:
I just got off the phone with Lizzie and I's lawyer, informing her of the situation and possibly mentioning that we may be interested in fostering her, but that I will not tell Lizzie just yet. After seeing how she looked at Charlie, I know she wants nothing more than to make this her home.

In all honesty, we have our licenses to adopt and foster. We've been looking at adoption for the past three years, but never really decided the right time to start. Both of us wanted a little girl, we knew that for sure, and as you can imagine we couldn't do that ourselves. I guess we were waiting to meet a girl and just feel that spark of connection and I can already tell Lizzie's felt it, I'm just waiting for the same.

Anyways, our lawyer found and contacted Charlie's case worker and she said it was alright for Charlie to stay with us for a week and she would come at the end of it to see if we were fit to foster, or adopt her. I'll talk to Liz more about it later.

I sat down my phone and leaned back on the couch, when I noticed a small form at the edge of the couch. I looked up and my eyes met Charlie's.

'Hey, nugget. You all better now?' I asked her and she just nodded in response. I noticed she tended to do that a lot.

'Lizzie told me to come hang out with you while she makes dinner.' She says shyly.

'That sounds great. Come here.' I smile at her. She walks over to me. God, this kid is adorable. She's gonna be the death of me. I pull her into my lap and ask her what we should do, but she doesn't know.

'Ok, we'll we can watch a movie, or play a game, or I can show you some pictures of Lizzie when she was a little girl?' I say wiggling my eyebrows. She smiles widely up and me and nods her head eagerly. I chuckle at her and pull her back into while grabbing my phone and showing her all the photos the Twins have sent me of baby Lizzie.

We didn't realize how much time had past, until Lizzie decided to scare us. 'Boo!' I screamed and Charlie did too before hiding in my arms.

'Hey, that wasn't funny!' I complained.

'Yeah, and neither is showing embarrassing pictures of me!' She argued, but my argument was interrupted by the shaking child in my arms.

'Hey, Charlie. It's ok. Lizzie was just being silly and scared us. You don't have to hide. No one's gonna hurt you. ' I told her, rubbing her back. She slowly pulled away and I could see both the tears in her eyes and the guilt on Lizzie's face at once.

'I'm so sorry, baby. I didn't mean to scare you like that. I was just messing around.' Lizzie apologized.

Charlie sniffled, 'it's Otay. You didn't mean to. I just don't wike being scawed.'

It broke my heart to see how mature she was being about the situation. It was also adorable that I realized she didn't speak as clearly when she wasn't trying so hard. I think it meant she was getting comfortable and I was happy about that. That's when I realized I felt it. The spark. The connection. Sitting on the couch with Charlie snuggled into me.