Thumderstorms

Scarlett's POV again:
Once Charlie was tucked in, Liz and i got into bed across the hall. It was only ten, so we weren't terribly tired.

'Hey, what was that phone call about earlier?' Lizzie asked me as she climbed under the covers.

'That was our lawyer and Charlie's case worker.' I said simply.

'Oh, what'd they say?' I could tell she was secretly trying not to get her hopes up.

'They said she could stay here for a week and at the end of it, Charlie's case worker is gonna come check how everything's going.' I knew she wanted more, but I wanted to see how badly.

'And if everything goes well?' She asked hopefully.

I sighed, 'Then we get approved to either foster Charlie or adopt her if we all think we're ready.' I told her, emphasizing the all part to include Charlie's opinion.

'So, you feel it too then?' She says smiling.

'I knew you felt it from the look in your eyes when we were helping her in the bathroom. But when you sent her out to me, and I pulled her into my lap. Well, funny enough, when you scared us, and she clung onto me like her life depended on it. That's when I knew.' I explained to her, mirroring her cheeky smile.

'Knew what?'

'That she was the one. She's our little girl and now that I've felt it, I know I have to make sure she's ours.'I told her.

'I just hope that's what she wants.' Lizzie says, while we turn the lights off. I agree with her and we say goodnight before falling asleep.

Charlie's POV:

I'm woken up by a loud crashing sound. I look around and recognize where I am as the bedroom Lizzie changed me in earlier. Another loud bang. I whimper and hide myself in the blankets. Another. I'm scared and all I can think about is I want Scarly and Lizzie.

When the noise seems to stop for a moment, I carefully crawl out of bed and open the door. I look down the hallway and realize they must be in bed since it's late. I don't wanna wake them but I'm scared. Maybe I can just crawl in and they won't notice. I open their door quietly and make my way to the bed. I struggle a little climbing up, and I think I woke Scarly.

'Charlie, what's going on? Are you ok?' She says groggily. Hey, that's a funny word. I shake my head no.

'What's wrong?'

'I scawed.'Bang! I whimper.

'Aww, honey, are you scared of the storm?' I nod my head yes. Crash! I whimper and pull myself closer to her. She pulls me into her.

'Hey, it's ok. I've got you. Do you wanna sleep with me and Lizzie? We can protect you from the scary storm.' She says while rubbing my back. I bury my face in the crook of her neck, 'Y-yes, p-p-pease.'

She turns us over so I'm in between her and Lizzie, which wakes up Lizzie. With each sound, I whimper and hide myself more into Scarly.

'What's going on?' Lizzie says worriedly.

'Charlie's scared of the storm, so she's gonna sleep with us, where we can protect her.' Scarly tells her. Lizzie says something else but I miss it.

We stayed up for a while because I couldn't fall asleep with the storm, until Scarly started singing to me and I drifted off. The entire time, I kept thinking, 'I wish they were my mommy's.'

A/N: So, everyone feels the same, but they don't know they do, yet.