Tired

Still Scarlett's POV:

'What do we do?' Liz said beginning to freak out.

'Baby, calm down. Stressing out isn't going to help anyone.' I told her reaching my hand to rub her arm.

She took a deep breath, 'You're right. You're right. Stressing won't do anything. Ok, let's think.'

'Uh, how about this? You bring them in and take them into the kitchen, while I carry Charlie into our bedroom and I'll change her and lay her down. Then, I'll meet you back in the kitchen.' I said thinking of the first thing that came to mind.

'Perfect, but what am I gonna tell them when you don't get out right away?' She said parking the car and looking back at me.

'Just say I'm grabbing some things and I have to go to the bathroom when I go in.' I suggest.

'Ok, they'll believe that.' She responded while turning off the car. I carefully pulled Charlie's hands off of my hand trying not to wake her, because I wasn't sure if she would go back to sleep if I did. She whined in response slightly waking up.

'Hey, Shh. Shh. I'm just taking you out. I'm gonna pick you up, ok?' I calmed her. She seemed to hear what I said and settled fairly easily.

I unbuckled the straps and pulled her arms free, gently just in case she woke up more. I started pulling her out when she immediately woke up at the sound of a dog barking from one of our neighbors walking their dog. I froze looking down at her and waiting. Her eyes opened and I could see the fright of the sudden loudness within them.

Within seconds some small cries escaped her lips and as much I quickly pulled her out of the seat and into my arms. As much as I shushed her and tried to get her to calm down, she was still becoming hysterical. I started bouncing her in my lap but it was difficult in the car so I opened the door and stepped out. I knew I couldn't go inside with her like this and nothing seemed to help.

I went to the trunk and opened it. I set her down quickly while I looked through the bags. She started reaching for me immediately and I completely regretted setting her down because it only made her cries worse.

'Up! Up! Scarlyyy!' She kept crying but at this point I was trying to find the one thing I thought might calm her down. I eventually did and I pulled on out of the package and as soon as she saw it she started reaching for it.

'No, bubba. It's yucky right now. I have to wash it.'

'No. Paci, now!'she cried. I thought quickly knowing nothing would change her mind. And as gross as it sounded I had watched my siblings do this a million times when their kids were little, I stuck it in my mouth for a second before popping it in hers. Sure enough, as soon as she got it, her cries slowed and turned into quiet sniffles. I wiped her tears and picked her back up where she just laid her head on my shoulder and leaned into me.

The last thing I heard was a small, muffled thank you before I closed the trunk and started walking inside. I closed the door as quietly as possible and walked down the hall and into our bedroom making sure no one saw me. I got inside and closed the door, walking over to the bed. I set Charlie down and she whined a little.

'Baby, I'm just changing you out of the yucky clothes.' I said softly. I changed her into the new one's as quickly as possible before placing her in the middle of the bed with and blanket on top of her and pillows around so she wouldn't fall off. I sat with her for a couple minutes since she woke up a little.

'Go back to sleep my love, you're really tired.' I tried but she kept staring up at me.

'C'mon Nugget. Mommy and I will be in the other room.' Again no luck. The only other thing I could think of was singing to her, so I did. Of course, that seemed to do the trick and within a minute or two, she was out cold. I kissed her head and said a quiet 'sleep well' and left the room silently.