Chapter 27 "The Black Vampire Bats"

Dimas deftly pulled Shella and me behind the root of the most enormous tree nearby. Then bent down and tried to stay still.

Moments later, the beast horde literally flew past us. As the name implies, this Black Vampire Bat was completely black in color, from its feather, wings, eyes, to the nail. In this darkness, we could only see the vague figure and sounds of the fluttering wings.

For me, who was a Haier-Elvian, the shape and appearance of the bat could be clearly seen. The beast was similar to a familiar bat. What made it different was its size, as big as a dog with a wingspan of about three meters. Also, a pair of large fangs sticking out of its mouth to suck the blood of its prey. Maybe that's why people called it the Black Vampire Bat.

This animal moved with the herd while hunting. The way they saw it was exactly the same as bats on earth. Because of their poor eyesight, they relied on echoes of sound emanating from their bodies. When it hit something, the sound echo would bounce off and be received by its sensor. The bats would know what was in front of them. That's how they saw. The animal distinguishes prey from inanimate objects based on movement. So as long as we didn't move an inch, they wouldn't be able to see us.

***Read more in Good Novel, thanks. :)https://www.goodnovel.com/book/31000147140