Part 11

We pulled outside a wood house seeing Tony with his daughter.

I took Lily and held her in my arms.

"Hi Tony." Steve said.

I walked towards him, "Lily. This is Tony Stark. He is a good friend of mummy and daddy." She smiles shyly, "And this is his daughter, Morgan." I smiled towards the kid, "Hi Morgan."

"Why don't you girls go inside?" Tony said putting her down.

"I'm gonna be right here, okay?" I said to Lily before she walked inside with Morgan.

"No, we know what it sounds like." Scott said after we told Tony the idea.

"Tony, after everything you've seen, is anything really impossible?" Steve asked.

"Quantum fluctuations messes with the Planck scale, which then triggers the Deutsch Proposition. Can we agree on that?" Stark said, "In layman's terms, it means you're not coming home."

"I did." Scott said.

"No. You accidentally survived. It's a billion to one cosmic fluke. And now you wanna pull a... what do you call it?"

"A time heist."

I scoff, "Let's call it what it is, okay? It's crazy enough."

"Of course. Why didn't we think about this before? Oh, because it's laughable. Because it's a pipe dream."

"The stones are in the past." Steve said. "We could to back, we could get them."

"We can snap our own fingers. We can bring everybody back." Nat said.

"Or screw it up worse than he already has, right?"

"I don't believe that we would." Steve said.

"Gotta say it. I sometimes miss that giddy optimism. However, high hopes won't help if there's no logical, tangible way for me to safely execute said time heist. I believe the most likely outcome will be our collective demise."

"Not if we strictly follow the rules of time travel. All right? It means no talking to our past selves, no betting on sporting events."

"I'm gonna stop you tight there, Scott. Are you seriously telling me that your plan to save the universe is based on Back to the Future? Is it?"

"No."

"Good. You had me worried there. Cause that would be horseshit. That's not how quantum physics works."

"Tony, we have to take a stand." Nat said.

"We did stand. And yet, here we are."

"I know you got a lot on the line." Scott said, "You got a wife, a daughter. But I lost someone very important to me... a lot of people did. And now, now we have a chance to bring her back... to bring everyone back! And you're telling me that you won't even..."

"That's right, Scott. I won't even. I can't." He looked at me, "I can't."

The door opened and Morgan was approaching us Lily after her jumping on Steve. "Mommy told me to come and save you." Morgan said to Tony.

"Good job. I'm saved." He got up and started walking away. "I wish you were coming here to ask me something else. Anything else. I'm honestly happy to see you guys, I just... oh look the tables set for seven."

"Tony." Steve said. "I get it. And I'm happy for you. I really am. I understand what it is. But this is a second chance."

"I got my second chance right here, Cap. Can't roll the dice on it."

We walked to the car, "Well he scared." Nat said.

"Of course he is." I said. "Can you... can you give me a minute?" I asked. Steve looked at me, "Just a minute." They went to the car and I went back to Tony.

"Hey." I said walking towards Tony and Morgan.

"Sophia, don't start."

"I'm not starting anything. I'm finishing." He looked at me annoyed, "We got lucky, you and me. We got... really lucky. But both you and I lost someone. Think about Peter. Wanda. Sam. Three of my best friends are here but what about the others? We finally got a chance and... I think it's worth the risk."

"We're not the avengers anymore."

"You're right. But we have a chance to be the avengers again. Just think about that."

I got inside the car. "We need a big brain." Steve said.