my star

Kang Taehyun was really pretty.

Beomgyu couldn't help those types of thoughts that sometimes creeped into his mind. Just the thought of the boy made him happy inside. However, Beomgyu always strived to be a better person and didn't want to have such shallow thoughts. Taehyun was more to his pretty face, and he wanted to get to know him.

There was only one problem — Taehyun was almost nowhere to be found most of the time.

It made Beomgyu frustrated because all he wanted was to talk to Kang Taehyun. The same-aged boy was as silent as a ghost — and as prominent as one, too. Taehyun simply existed to some people as 'the boy they sit next to in class' or 'that kid that scribbles in his books all day'. Taehyun preferred that attention stayed off him.

It was safe to say that Taehyun was a loner — self-imposed, self-sustaining, and possibly happier than most. He seemed okay by himself, not necessarily putting in effort to talk to others. Forcing him to talk to others might break him down a bit and witnessing someone that was usually quiet suddenly talk too much would drive everyone to shock.

Beomgyu was a people-pleaser — he communicated with anyone that required him to be around. As a result, he had a large amount of people he knew, but very few friends. His eloquent type managed to snag a few friends he could indefinitely keep around, but he knew they'd grow apart eventually.

But back to the point of Taehyun being absolutely gorgeous.

Beomgyu had never liked a guy before, and discovering that he felt rather differently about Taehyun led him down his queer journey as a bisexual boy. He was sure he still found women attractive, but Taehyun was the boy that made him realise that maybe he's not as straight as he thought.

It was perfectly fine, though, because Beomgyu managed to express his concerns to his parents. They seemed to support him, but were in the learning process as well. They had no experience with queer kids and Beomgyu was their first. They did their best to support him, however, and continue loving him.

Beomgyu liked Taehyun's general look. He was stunning, gorgeous, pretty, amazing — Beomgyu was sure he was falling in love. However, his feelings were only surface-level and he wanted to get to know the pretty boy more.

But once again, Taehyun was hardly ever seen around and he often just disappeared like a ghost.

Beomgyu wondered how he'd make Taehyun fall in love with him. They were in different classes and barely saw each other. He'd like to speak to Taehyun one day, and hopefully find out if he was willing to be with Beomgyu, who was a boy. He couldn't account for everyone's sexuality, of course, but he could hope that Taehyun would like guys.

"Yah, Beomgyu, you're zoning out! We're late for class!"

"A-ah, I'm coming!"

Beomgyu's rather lengthy hair bounced freely as he ran after his supposed best friend, Park Jongsung — better known as Jay. He had zoned out with all his intricate thinking and had slowed down significantly. Jay shook his head, walking onwards as Beomgyu joined him by his side.

"What are you thinking about this time, Choi?" Jay asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "If you thought this deeply about schoolwork, you'd be out of Harvard with a degree already."

"Yah, stop exaggerating," Beomgyu scolded with a frown. "I just want to think sometimes, okay? About Kang Taehyun…"

Jay almost rolled his eyes. "Oh my God, you're pathetic. Just talk to him—"

"I don't know where he is—"

"Well, look for him—!"

"He's almost nowhere—!"

"If you like him, put in more effort—"

"I wish I could!" Beomgyu exclaimed weakly. His body deflated slightly as he sighed, looking att he ground. "I wish I could. I wish I had the courage to just… walk up to a really cute guy, tell him I like him and then boom, we're dating. I wish it was that easy."

Jay was quiet as they walked, a smirk slowly forming on his lips. "Oh, that's so sad. You know, I wish he would appear at any moment right now so that you could actually take the first step…"

Beomgyu huffed out, looking at his best friend again. "Yeah I wish— uwah!"

Jay pushed Beomgyu by his arm, resulting in him almost tripping over his feet. He managed to save himself, but it was almost too late because he bumped into a person standing outside of a classroom. Beomgyu held the shorter person's shoulders as he pushed himself upward to apologise, but froze in place.

"I'm… sorry for, uh… K-Kang Taehyun…—"

The boy raised an eyebrow, nodding as he helped Beomgyu stand up straight. "Uhm… no problem…? Are you okay, you look a little r—"

"Beomgyu!" Jay hissed, doing some sort of loud whisper to break Beomgyu out his trance.

Beomgyu widened his eyes, holding Taehyun's shoulders firmly. "Kang Taehyun, go out with me!"

Jay could almost laugh. Beomgyu stepped away, looking away in embarrassment. Taehyun covered his mouth with his hand, clear shock evident in his eyes. Beomgyu wished he could jump off a cliff at that very moment, which, didn't seem too improbable since they lived near the seaside and he'd join the sea very soon.

"But why?" Taehyun eventually asked, tilting his head in amused confusion. "Uhm, I'm not… uhm…"

"B-because…" Beomgyu began, not really knowing what to say. Why did he want to be with Taehyun? Because of his looks? His smarts? Beomgyu didn't have a reason yet, so he knew what to say. "Because I want to get to know you." Taehyun smiled slightly, his hand hiding his slight laugh. Beomgyu looked away, his cheeks burning in embarrassment. "H-hurry, I have to get to class."

Taehyun cleared his throat after stifling his laugh and looked at Beomgyu with serious eyes. "Why, do you like guys?"

"Why, are you homophobic?"

"Nope — that's a bit of self-hate, if you ask me."

"Uhm, Beom, can you hurry up, were late for class," Jay called out, crossing his arms as he leaned against the wall. "You know Choi seongsaengnim isn't friendly."

Beomgyu stepped backwards, pointing a finger at Taehyun as moved to join Jay. "Today, lunch time — library. Meet me there."

Taehyun laughed before nodding. "I guess so — wait what's your name?"

"Choi Beomgyu — don't forget it!"