my universe

"So how long have you liked me?"

Taehyun laughed, hitting Beomgyu's hand and shaking his head. "Does it really matter? I just… started looking at you differently at some point. You were always there for me, even defended me when you knew I was a Herrscher. You're important to me."

"Aw, I'm important to you? How sweet," Beomgyu teased, poking Taehyun's side while laughing. "Ah, I'm kidding. I like you a lot, Taehyun, and I hope that's still proven by the time we first met."

"Asking me out when we met, what a weirdo," Taehyun laughed, giggling as he rested his head on Beomgyu's shoulder. "But that weirdo that yelled really loudly about liking me turned out to be my favourite person."

"I feel like you just told me you like me because I died," Beomgyu muttered, looking down at his hands. "It… took me a long time to get this moment to happen. Almost two months. Now I'm here, with you. It's a little too sudden, actually. I feel weird."

"You wanted me to accept your feelings for the longest time," Taehyun began, "and now that I feel the same, you are sceptical? Beomgyu, I like you. Just… accept that I like you. Jeez, you always have to be annoying to me in one way or another."

Beomgyu smiled softly, looking down at Taehyun's hand that reached for his own, intertwining their fingers and clasping their palms together. "I knew my Taehyun was perfect."

Taehyun looked at the Samsung smart watch on his wrist, frowning at the time. "It's past midnight. I should actually get home."

"Will you be okay?"

"Mostly," Taehyun chuckled. "I was given time off school to physically and mentally recover. Ryujin's been bringing my school work, and I'm guessing you csn start doing yours as well. Well, you have to recover first."

"Yeah, my chest hurts too much,"  Beomgyu complained. "It's because I barely get to see you."

"Gross," Taehyun grimaced, standing up from the hospital bed. "You'll probably be doing recreational activity to stimulate your muscles as well as your style. I'll see you at the lab tomorrow, okay? They're gonna run a couple tests on us."

"Do I are least get a kiss good-bye?"

"No." Taehyun waved his hand as he picked his phone up, ready to leave the room, but Beomgyu made angry indecipherable noises in complaint. He was practically yelling, but nothing he said made sense. Taehyun made the same noises in response, causing Beomgyu to laugh. "Fine, one kiss."

Taehyun leaned forward, placing a soft kiss to Beomgyu's cheek. The other pouted his lips and Taehyun laughed, tapping his hand to Beomgyu's pouted lips. "Boring. You're boring, Kang Taehyun."

"I'm glad you think of me in that way," Taehyun teased, leaning over Beomgyu. "But okay, one real kiss. Just stay still."

Taehyun was quiet, lingering above him before gently pressing their lips together in their second kiss. Beomgyu kissed back, tilting his head to create more warmth between them. However, Taehyun pulled away almost immediately when the door suddenly opened. A tall male in a lab coat stood at the entrance, looking at them with a surprised yet blank expression.

"… Am I interrupting something? Because I need to do some tests on the subject."

"A-ah, no, I was just about to leave," Taehyun said quickly, looking away in embarrassment. "S-see you tomorrow, Beomgyu."

Beomgyu hummed and Taehyun quickly walked out, bowing to the doctor. The man frowned before shaking his head and stepping into the room, closing the door behind him. "Okay… I'm Choi Soobin, assistant nurse here at Aenix Labs. I don't have a PhD, but please call me Doctor Choi. I'm just here to do some maintenance, checking on your blood pressure and whatever. Don't mind me."

Beomgyu nodded and the doctor placed his clipboard on the table beside the bed, opening one of the metal cupboards and taking out a few devices. Beomgyu was quiet, but absolutely hated staying silent for so long, sovhe spoke up. "So, uh… how'd you become a doctor here?"

"Not a doctor, assistant nurse," the tall boy corrected as he connected the Velcro straps on the blood pressure monitor to Beomgyu's arm. "Lee Minseon is my mother's youngest sister. I didn't complete school, but the labs took me in realising that I had a knack for medical work, despite not liking mathematics. So I was given some basic tasks before getting to work with Schers, including Pseudo Herrschers such as yourself."

Beomgyu hummed while nodding. "You look really young."

"I'm only 22."

"Wow."

"Not getting any younger, though," Soobin sighed, writing on the clipboard as the monitor on Beomgyu's arm beeped. "Who was that boy? Boyfriend?"

"I guess, yes," Beomgyu chuckled, putting his arm out onto the table beside the bed. Soobin made a sound of interest as he nodded, still tending to his work meticulously. "I really like him, and I never cared that he was a Scher or a Herrscher. He was always just… my sweet Taehyun."

"Not all of us are bad," Soobin muttered, a smile on his lips. "I mean… I'm a Scher as well. I'm not one for combat, anyways, so consuming souls is useless. I'm doing just fine, basically living as a human."

Beomgyu was smiling mischievously. "Do you have any romantic interests, Doctor Mister Choi Soobin?"

"Just Doctor," Soobin sighed, shaking his head. "And… yes. He's no longer with us, unfortunately."

"He?"

Soobin nodded, taking another device out the cabinet. "He did some bad things, and he was killed by the Seventh Herrscher."

"Killed by the S—?" Beomgyu widened his eyes. Taehyun had only ever killed one person in his life. "Was it the…?"

"Choi Yeonjun was never meant to make contact with other scientists apart from the same three he always had to see," Soobin muttered, "but the first time I monitored his health, I… fell in love. He flirted a lot with me, too. Turns out he was a murder machine that wanted to kill humans for the fun of it. That's way too big of a red flag, and… I'm okay without him."

Beomgyu was quiet as Soobin attached the device to his arm and it began beeping. "Did he mean a lot to you?"

"I guess, but first loves are called first loves for a reason," Soobin replied. "They never work out. That's why it's called a first love. If it works out, then… then it's the last love."

Beomgyu liked that saying.