written in the stars

"I can't believe Jay was a Scher…!"

"It's always the ones you don't expect. He was such a great guy, too!"

"Never mind that, the class room was busted by that other Scher!"

"Wasn't that Kang Taehyun? Everyone thought he was a Scher when hr first came here…"

"Scary! We share some of the same classes!"

"There's no way, he's so nice."

"But why was he fighting another Scher…?"

"Settle down, students!" The principal stood by the podium, and the students quietened down to listen to him. "I feel that it is important to talk about the Scher attack that had happened last week. It has come to our attention that we have a Scher outbreak within our school, and even within 260 students, almost a fifth of our schools seems to be of Scher blood."

Murmuring of panic started immediately and the principal sighed, tapping his microphone to catch their attention.

"Settle down," he said calmly. "The situation is being dealt with. We have a student among us that is working in close ties with the Seoul Scher Containment Protocol Unit and defence is a mere call away. Another person we have in our defence is… a Herrscher."

"A… a Herrscher…?!"

"But those are more dangerous than a regular Scher!"

"Most of you already know," he continued, "but this Herrscher is Kang Taehyun. Better to have someone of his prowess on our side than as an enemy. He works with SCPU, and will work in protecting the students. He is one of us. Treat him with as much respect and kindness as a regular student would."

The murmuring began again, and the principal called for order before dismissing everyone. Taehyun was on the side of the stage, holding his hands in front of him politely. He bowed to the teachers that passed him. He felt his shoulders deflate as most seemed to avoid eye contact. He was still a monster — no matter what.

"Hey — let's go to class."

Beomgyu stood a few metres away from him, holding Taehyun's backpack in his hand. Taehyun smiled, walking to him and taking his bag. "We don't even go to the same class, but okay."

"Are you okay, though? Things won't be the same anymore," Beomgyu said, his expression soft with worry. "Now that everyone knows that you're a Herrscher, everyone that knows you will look at you differently."

"It's fine, I'll isolate as usual," Taehyun said, chuckling. "I'll just… sit right at the back of the library so that no one is uncomfortable."

"They're not uncomfortable, they're afraid."

"Well, I'll leave them alone so that they don't have to be scared."

"Taehyun." Beomgyu was frowning and Taehyun sighed, looking down at his feet. "You love making friends, don't you? So let's make som friends! You don't have to hide anymore, because everyone knows who and what you are. Look, you're my lovely Taehyun — I'll make sure that they know that you would never hurt them."

Taehyun's smile had faded, unable to be as positive as Beomgyu at that moment. "It's not that easy, Beomgyu. You're… you're all I have. You're the only star in my sky."

"Well, so are you, because my so-called best friend tried to kill me," Beomgyu said quickly, stopping in his tracks. "I'll gladly be your star, Taehyun, but it's time to fill your sky with more."

Taehyun liked that metaphor and slowly smiled, looking at Beomgyu with hopeful eyes. Beomgyu looked away quickly as his cheeks burned pink. Taehyun always managed to look adorable, whether subconsciously or on purpose. His expression was far too adorable, and Beomgyu had to look away before he lost his heart all over again.

"I'll meet you at the library during lunch, okay? We can start slowly," Beomgyu suggested with a smile. "If you'd like, we can just study together. I'm sure it's what you'd prefer to do, anyways."

"It's too cold to go outside, anyways — it got colder these days," Taehyun hummed with a nod. "Also, I destroyed the science lab's wall, so we won't be getting chemistry for a week or so."

"Lucky — we use the second lab next door!"

Beomgyu had to break the habit of going to Jay's locker first thing after class ends, since he was no longer at school. He made his way to his locker to change his books for what he and Taehyun would study after eating. He saw someone waiting at his locker and frowned — what was Ryujin doing at his locker?

"Beomgyu," she called out, waving her hand to catch his attention. Beomgyu looked back in confusion, pointing at himself hesitantly. She nodded and Beomgyu only became more confused. "We need to talk."

"About…? Look, I can't accept your feelings, I'm in love with the amazing Kang Taehyun—"

"Ew, you idiot, I like girls," she grimaced, causing Beomgyu to blush in embarrassment. "Anyways, where is your friend? The Scher? Or should I say Herrscher?"

"Taehyun's waiting for me at the library right now," he answered leisurely. "Why? Do you want to bully him? I won't let you!"

"Would you stop assuming things and just listen?" she sighed, rolling her eyes. "Boys are such a hassle, jeez. Anyways, I… I have to speak to him. It's about the whole… Scher thing. I'm curious about it all, and I might have a tip or two."

"A tip…?"

Ryujin nodded, looking around carefully before leaning forward to whisper to him. "There might be a Scher in my class, but I'll talk to him about it. So let's go to him—"

"Wait, before we go," Beomgyu said quickly. "He's… lacking some friends right now because everyone is afraid of him. Will you… be his friend? He's a really sweet and eloquent guy, so there's no reason someone like him should be so lonely. He can't see that he just needs to… put himself forward."

"Oh, I'll gladly be his friend," Ryujin answered with a smile. "I've never spoken directly with a Scher before. I'd love to get to know him more. I don't fear him at all — I can see that he's not a bad guy."

Beomgyu grinned brightly. "Thank you so much, Ryujin-ah! I'll repay you, I swear!"

"You don't need to, because I actually want to be his friend…"