moonchild

"The Sixth Herrscher escaped our facilities approximately 20 minutes ago, and we have no sight. However, his scent is still lingering in the air. We need to track him down immediately and contain him — he's the biggest threat to humanity right now, and he's on the loose."

Taehyun bit his lips together, nervousness coursing through him. "W-will everyone be okay?"

"If we capture the Sixth in time, yes," the woman replied. She flinched, touching a wound on her cheek gingerly. "The facility's upper wing was almost completely destroyed. The testing chamber that contained the Sixth Herrscher is practically non-existent. He's dangerous, and fully aware that he is."

"Who is this Herrscher, anyways? Does he have a name? I'm assuming it's a guy, since you referred to him as such."

"This Herrscher was created ten years ago, and has been in containment since," Minseon explained. "You were created of him, in fact. Some of his essence was used to create the Seventh. You're definitely stronger than him — the only question is if you have the will to actually kill someone."

"Wait, you said we just need to contain him."

"We might need to wound him along the way," she muttered. "I don't care if you need to harm him — do what you need to do to keep this city safe. You'll have to fight if you want to protect your friend Beomgyu. Sometimes drastic measures such as this become apparent and when push comes to shove, you'll have to interact with the part of yourself you hate so much."

Taehyun sighed softly, looking down at his hands that glowed that same black, the glow illuminated by a threatening red outline. He hated being a Scher, but what else could he do? He had to use his power for the better, and Seoul was in danger.

"If you'd go through the rigorous training and testing, you could work under SCPU," Minseon suggested. "You'll be sorted after school, then. You'll be protected by others, and get paid well. Instead of falling into villainy, stay beside the good guys."

"I'll think about it," Taehyun muttered. They suddenly perked their heads, looking in the same direction out the window. "He's close by."

"Take a left here," Minseon ordered. The driver nodded, following her instruction. "I'm sorry for calling you at such an unusual time. It's just… this is an emergency and I'm not afraid to admit when I need help. Thank you for helping us during this emergency."

"I heard the broadcast as well, stating that everyone should remain indoors until the Herrscher is captured," Taehyun continued, frowning as they drove into a residential area. "Wait, this…"

"This is where your friend Beomgyu lives."

Ringing.

"Watch out!"

The vehicle swerved as a huge explosion in front of then prevented them from moving forward. Taehyun was jostled about, but Minseon held firmly to be still. Taehyun looked at her before nodding. "We'll have to get out here."

"Retreat immediately!" she told the driver as she opened the door to the van quickly. They stepped out, running towards the source of the explosions. "Some other agents will follow soon, we just need to prevent any more damage."

"Tch… you traitors."

Taehyun looked up, widening his eyes at the glowing cyan blue person floating in the middle of the street. He activated his style his hands glowing black. "So you're the Sixth Herrscher."

"My predecessor," the person chuckled. "I've been told your name is Kang Taehyun. How unfortunate, being blessed with such a fate. Such power, yet… using it on humans is highly discouraged. Why do I have this power, then? To curse me with a painful existence? To stay in a lab my entire life?"

"For good," Taehyun answered flatly. "Hurting humans will do nothing but make them fear you."

"Then so be it," the Herrscher said, raising his hand. The cyan blue formed two blades in his hand and he pushed the blades together by the hilt in his hands, creating a double-edged weapon. "If you're truly stronger than me, then fight me. Every time you fail to hit me, I'll detonate one of my little bombs located in these houses."

"Shit," Minseon hissed, glaring at the boy. "Choi Yeonjun, you don't need to do this—"

"Do not say that name!" the Herrscher yelled, his weapon pulsating as his eyes flashed blue and green. "Choi Yeonjun is dead! I'm the Sixth Herrscher of the Flame. Choi Yeonjun was human."

"You're still human," Minseon said, her tone suddenly gentle. "I agree — the conditions in the lab weren't the best."

"I want nothing to do with you, weakling," Yeonjun, as the Sixth Herrscher had been known, said firmly, thrusting his weapon forward in Taehyun's direction. "It's with him."

"I won't let you touch him," she hissed, activating her style. Yeonjun launched himself forward, slashing his huge weapon. However, Minseon formed a giant neon prism between them and the attack deflected, causing Taehyun to flinch. His eyes glowed red and he formed black glowing cubes, trapping Yeonjun's arms.

"Those won't work on me!" Yeonjun yelled, breaking the cube with brute force. Taehyun used force to thrust Yeonjun's body to the side. The cyan-handed boy slashed his weapon, barely scraping on Taehyun's left arm and causing a cut. "You're weak, Seventh. Too weak for me. If you don't use your Herrscher strength, you'll die…!"

A neon prism formed between them, extending quickly and pushing Yeonjun away. He fell to the ground, stumbling due to the force. Taehyun looked at Minseon with thanks, suddenly levitating above the ground. Yeonjun pushed his weapon to the side and it floated beside him as he ascended upwards.

"You're too slow."

He pushed his hand to the side, and an explosion went off in one of the homes alongside the street. Taehyun watched in horror, clenching his fists in anger. "You monster! How can you kill innocent people like that?!"

"They're not innocent if they harbor hate," Yeonjun replied simply, reaching a distance of almost fifteen metres above the ground. "I've been hated for years — it's about time you feel that hate as well."

An orb formed in his hand, glowing a bright neon cyan blue. Taehyun gritted his teeth, figuring that he'd have to use his style. He hated using his power, but he had done it so easily when Beomgyu was in danger. Why was he being so selfish when an entire neighbourhood was in danger?

Taehyun held his hands above his head, forming a large black cube with red outlines. It had cracks, showing the red inner core. Yeonjun launched himself towards Taehyun, ckesrly aiming the blue orb at him, but Taehyun made the cube larger — and Yeonjun made contact with it, causing it to detonate.