as we laughed that night

"Reports of a mass Scher attack happened during the early morning hours in the Apgujeong area. A family of three were found soulless, and were soon found to be dead in the hospital due to a lack of bodily function. The further family of the victims are devastated, and—"

"Oh, the news keeps getting worse each day," Mrs Choi sighed, quickly turning the TV off. Beomgyu looked away from the black screen, finally able to pay attention to the jjigae in front of him. "Beomgyu-ya, eat up. You need to head to school, angel."

"My brain is occupied," Beomgyu muttered.

"So early in the morning? Unusual."

"Ah, Dad!" Beomgyu complained, lowering hsi spoon in defeat. "I'm serious, don't make fun of me!"

"Well, what are you thinking about, son?" his mother asked, baring her signature smile.

Beomgyu looked down, unsure of what to say. "There's this boy… and we seem to be good friends, but… I don't know, but…"

"Do you like him? Goodness, I feared this since the day you came out," his father sighed, shaking his head. "Don't bother with girls or boys right now, you're in your last year."

"I'm sure you'll like him if you meet him," Beomgyu said quickly, crossing his arms. "Taehyun is really nice. He's soft, sweet, gentle… pretty…"

"I said that about all the girls before I met your mum," his father scoffed, "so he might not be the one. You're young, you'll get over it. Just stay friends — or better yet, don't talk to him. Focus on your schoolwork."

Beomgyu looked down again, picking up his spoon. "Yes, Dad."

Beomgyu didn't listen, of course. He's a wild soul.

"Taehyun-ah, there you are!"

Taehyun yelped when Beomgyu placed an arm around his shoulders, walking beside him almost leisurely after giving Taehyun a mini heart attack. "Have you lost your mind, Choi Beomgyu? Jeez, you almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry," Beomgyu chuckled. "I don't want to give my pretty Kang Taehyun any grey hairs, so I'll try to be—"

"Okay, okay, I get it," Taehyun muttered, a smile on his lips. "I'm going to be doing some studying on my own later, because I've been hanging out with you too often these days. I need to be alone for a bit."

"You're alone all the time, we don't even share any classes," Beomgyu complained, a small pout on his lips. "You never want to hsng out with me. If you don't want to be my friend just say so. I've had people leave me before—"

"Stop being dramatic," Taehyun sighed, reaching forward to ruffle Beomgyu's hair with his hand. "You bring out a side of me I never thought I had. I preferred staying away from people, but you… made life exciting. You're a good guy, Beomgyu."

Beomgyu smiled brightly, bumping Taehyun with his shoulder. "So are you ready to be my boyfriend, then?"

"Oh my God, you just ruined it! What a loser!"

Beomgyu was confused again.

Taehyun was nowhere to be found, not even at his usual spot in the library or the furthermost point of the sports field. He had disappeared again. Like a ghost. Beomgyu had to search for Jay, who was most likely with his own group of friends. Beomgyu knew everyone anyways, so he thought he'd be okay for the day.

But he wanted to be with Taehyun.

"Gone again? That kid's really strange," Jay sighed, shaking his head as he ate of his food. "You know, Beomgyu-ya, that Taehyun had a couple rumors during our first year."

"Oh, that's right," Heeseung beside him hummed as he nodded. "He never spoke with anyone and glared at anyone that tried to talk to him — and that was everyone because he's really pretty. Guys and girls alike wanted to be his friend or more."

Jay looked at Beomgyu. "Everyone thought he was a Scher."

Beomgyu widened his eyes, biting his lips together as he looked down. "Taehyun can't be a Scher, though. H-his eyes are normal. And he enjoys hanging out with me."

"I don't see him here right now, do I?"

Beomgyu scoffed, playing with his chopsticks nervously. "There's no way Kang Taehyun is a Scher. There aren't any in our school. And even if he was, he wouldn't attack me. We're friends now, and he wouldn't hurt a friend, right?"

"Beomgyu, you're the nicest guy I know," the boy beside Heeseung named Jiung frowned. "You're easily a target for any Scher — Taehyun or not. I'm glad you're such a great guy, but I'm afraid you'll be soulless by the time school ends. It's best not to be with Taehyun, because we don't know if he's a Scher or not."

"Taehyun is not a Scher! He's a human and he wouldn't hurt anyone!" Beomgyu exclaimed, suddenly standing up from his seat. "Don't say those things about the boy I like! Taehyun is perfect as he is. He's nice sweet, pretty… there's no way — absolutely no way — that Kang Taehyun could be a Scher."

"Hey, I could be a Scher as well," Heeseung said quickly with a frown. "Anyone can be a Scher just as much as everyone else. I'm just saying… Taehyun makes it painfully obvious and has made no move to defend himself."

"Because he's shy, that's all," Beomgyu muttered, finally sitting down again. "If he was a Scher, he'd tell me… I'm his best friend now…"

"I'm sorry, Beomgyu," Jay began, "but if I was a Scher, I wouldn't tell you. Your best bet is to be little more cautious — please. Anyone could be a Scher including Taehyun. He's not excluded from that suspicion."

Beomgyu was quiet for a moment, picking at his food silently. "Taehyun isn't a a Scher. He could never hurt anyone… right…?"