dazzling lights

Beomgyu was awoken from his sleep as a large explosion wrnt off nearby. He panicked, thinking that it was another Scher attack. He muttered a confused 'what the heck' before he heard another loud explosion. The TV turned on downstairs, and a broadcast played loudly throughout the house.

"BIOLOGICAL ATTACK WARNING: PLEASE EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE NEAR DOWNTOWN SEOUL. EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY. A HERRSCHER HAS BEEN SIGHTED IN THE AREA AND IS LAUNCHING LARGE-SCALE ATTACKS ON BUILDINGS. EVACUATE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY."

"Beomgyu, we need to leave!" his mother's voice exclaimed, his door being slammed open. "Grab anything you can, you father is looking for his car keys."

Beomgyu nodded, throwing his blankets off and immediately picking up an empty backpack beside his desk. He threw I'm his phone, MacBook, chargers and various other devices. He took necessary clothing just in case they had to go to a shelter and zipped the bag closed. "I can't believe I fell asleep right after Minseon-nim sent that message…"

Lee Minseon had warned him about the attack, since she had asked him to contact Taehyun frantically. He did so, but because he had taken medication that night, he was extra sleepy and had fallen back to sleep almost immediately. He felt like an idiot, having to panic with everyone else, even after he was warned.

Beomgyu grabbed a hoodie and a pair of sneakers, running downstairs and following his mother out the house to the car. Another explosion went off and Beomgyu looked out the window, widening his eyes. "T-that's Taehyun over there…!"

"Well, it's too late to greet him now," his father muttered as he started the car, "because if we don't leave now, we might get killed."

"The Sixth Herrscher looks scary," Beomgyu muttered, eyeing the black-haired boy that levitated across from Taehyun. His eyes were bright blue and green, indicating the bursting energy he had flowing through him that powered his Herrscher senses. "Why are Scher fights so scary…?"

His father began driving and Beomgyu kept his eyes on the fight. The Sixth levitated higher, a giant blue sphere forming on his palm. He widened his eyes, a sudden shiver going up his spine. Taehyun looked panicked as the cubes from his style formed just above his hand. The Herrscher launched himself at Taehyun, and the cube grew in size.

"Dad, drive fa—!"

It was too late.

The explosion went off, and the shockwave of the burst caused the car to be pushed quickly onto its side. Beomgyu landed against the window, the impact making him yell in pain. His mother's fall was broken by his father, while Beomgyu's backpack filled with things fell into his side.

Beomgyu was in pain. He pushed his backpack off, realising that the glass had broken. His hoodie prevented the glass from piercing his skin, thankfully, but the windshield was shattered as well. "Are you two okay?" his father winced, pulling a piece of glass out his hand. "Crap, the car is busted."

Beomgyu opened the door on the opposite end, pushing it open with all his might before using his strength to pull himself out. He landed on the concrete limply, unable to move effectively because of his body's impact against the car. He called out for his mother, who then used the same method he did to open the door.

Beomgyu held his side in pain. He was probably bruised, since his MacBook had jabbed him right between the ribs. "What a dumb way to get injured," Beomgyu scoffed to himself. He then looked at the fight. Taehyun was floating in the air, while the Sixth was on the ground, holding his arm in pain. "His attack worked!"

"Beomgyu, help flip the car," his father said as he lifted himself out the vehicle. Beomgyu nodded, doing as his father said.

"There's a woman over there that we need to help," Beomgyu said, gritting his teeth as he pushed on the car. He had no strength. He thought no glass had gotten him, but he had a few cuts here and there, as well as some splints of class in his right hand.

"There's no time, we have to leave," his father snapped. "I'm going nowhere near that hell over there. Do you want to get killed?!"

"If we don't help her, she'll die," Beomgyu said, glaring slightly. "I'm going back for her. You know who she is — she's important. You just don't want to save her because she's a Scher."

"I-it's not that," his father answered shakily. Beomgyu remained unfazed until he sighed. "Fine, go back. But don't go too far, just call out to her."

Beomgyu nodded, running towards the fight scene. There was a huge crater in the ground where the impact had occured. Debris, concrete, tar and rocks were scattered all over the place, indicating the mass destruction which had occured. Beomgyu saw Minseon on the ground against the wall of one of houses. She had clearly used her neon green shield to protect herself, but the blast still caused her to be pushed back.

"I'll have to carry her — but she's wearing a skirt…" Beomgyu was thoughtful for a moment. She was unconscious, so he couldn't ask her how she'd prefer to be carried. Get figured a way our, even though it would take a lot out of his arms. He was about to pick her up, but his body froze in place — in an all to familiar manner.

"Beomgyu, why are you here…?!"

Beomgyu was forced to turn around, his feet somehow making steps towards the Sixth Herrscher on the ground. "T-Taehyun, help me! I-I can't move!"

"If you kill me, the boy dies," the Sixth hissed, holding his arm out beside him and barely clenching his hand. Beomgyu gasped, feeling his throat pull tight. His airway grew thin, and he clutched at the invisible force trying to choke him desperately. "If you try to kill me, I'll take this one with me."

Beomgyu shook his head quickly, tears forming in his eyes. "T-Taehyun… h-help…!"

"Let him go!" Taehyun yelled. "Why pull an innocent human into this?!"

"He's just a hostage, nothing more," the Herrscher shrugged. He tightened his grip and Beomgyu yelped, his will to fight against the grip weakening ever so slightly. "You wanted to fight against your own kind. How selfish. They'll always hate you if you're not one of them. If you care about humans so much, why don't you sacrifice yourself for this one…?"

"BEOMGYU!"