suddenly

Beomgyu loved that Taehyun spoke so freely snd happily with the girl that had suddenly joined them in the library that day. Ryujin proved to be really nice to him, complimenting his cause, even as a Scher. Taehyun was smiling brightly, his eyes glowing with a child-like joy that Beomgyu absolutely loved.

He was just so in love.

"But it's so cool," Ryujin hummed, observing Taehyun's hands in thought. "Such hands hold such power… and you're just wandering a school as a regular student? It's a little strange, you know? Someone like you should… I don't know, be having a villain arc or something."

"But I'm not too fond of my power," Taehyun replied, looking at his hands. "They're a burden. I wish I could get rid of them. I never asked to be the Seventh Herrscher. I just wanted to be a regular kid snd compete for survival like a normal human. With these powers, everyone is afraid of me. Even Schers are afraid."

"I'm not afraid of you," Beomgyu smiled, leaning on his hand as he tilted his head.

"Me neither — I find you cool," Ryujin shrugged, a small smile lingering on her lips. Taehyun's eyes brightened again and Ryujin stifled a laugh. "There's no way someone so cute contains the power to manipulate time and space. You're too cute!"

"I'm not cute, I can literally destroy half this building in the blink of an eye," Taehyun scoffed, crossing his arms. "Not that I would, though — it makes me tired."

"Ryujin-ah, you said you have a tip," Beomgyu said, his tone falling serious. "If there's any Schers in your class, I need to keep an eye out for any strange behavior. We need to prevent any attacks before they happen to prevent the loss of any more students."

"Oh, right." Ryujin became serious as well, crossing her arms in front of her. "There's this tall kid — Kang Minhee. Blonde hair, keeps to himself usually, doesn't really bother anyone. Recently, he's been getting close to this other guy in another — Hyeongjun. Everyone knows him. Anyways, Hyeongjun is a really sweet kid and he's always nice to everyone — Minhee could be targeting him, but he also could just be making a friend."

"A Scher would usually get closer to multiple people at the same time to avoid suspicion like this, so they have an alibi if someone goes soulless," Taehyun explained. "I'll need to get closer to him to feel his aura. We usually hide our aura, though, so it'll be difficult."

"Just a question," Ryujin hummed, leaning against the table, "are… all Schers bad? Do all of them just want to consume human souls? Or are there more like you?"

"I can't be too sure," Taehyun shrugged. "Living like this isn't ideal. If you want to sustain yourself as a Scher, you need to consume a soul once in a while, because it's draining to use your power and not replenish it. I contain multiple Scher souls within me, and using my power is extremely draining, but I refuse to become that type of monster."

"Hey… you're not a monster," Ryujin said with a soft smile. "You're helping more than anyone in this school. You're protecting the students, and that's amazing."

"I told you you're amazing," Beomgyu grinned, putting his head to Taehyun's shoulder. "You'll always be pretty lovely Kang Taehyun."

Ryujin looked between the two before raising a curious eyebrow. "Are you two…?"

"What?! No!" Taehyun exclaimed suddenly, pushing Beomgyu's head off his shoulder. "This loser just has a fat crush on me and really thinks he has a chance with me."

Beomgyu looked at him with hurt eyes, a soft gasp escaping his lips. "T-Taehyun…!"

"Oh my God, I'm joking! Oh my goodness, don't look at me like that, you look so sad," Taehyun cooed, holding Beomgyu's cheeks in his hands. "Hey, I'm kidding. You look like a kicked puppy, jeez. Beomgyu, are you going to cry? If you cry, I will make fun of you."

"Well, don't make jokes like that! You know I'm serious about you, you bully…!"

Taehyun sighed, releasing his cheeks. "What do you want? I'll make it up to you."

Beomgyu fake sobbed, pretending to wipe away tears. "If you become my boyfriend, maybe I'll forgive you…"

"Nice try."

Beomgyu scoffed, suddenly standing up. "I'm thirsty. I'm going to the vending machine, do you want anything?"

"Milkis."

"Me too," Ryujin said, lifting her hand. "I'll pay back, I swear."

Beomgyu hummed as he got out his seat snd began walking to the door. "I somehow don't believe you, but okay…"

Beomgyu left the library and Ryujin waited a few seconds before looking at Taehyun with excited eyes. "Oh my gosh, does he really like you?"

"It's how we met," Taehyun chuckled fondly. "The dummy made eye contact with me and tried to ask me out. Of course I said no, because we just met. As we got to know one another, though… I began finding him really cute. He's just so excited for everything, like a little kid. He'd just so adorable."

"Well, why don't you you date him now?" Ryujin asked. "He really seems to like you, and he really sees that he has a chance with you."

"I'm a mess right now, and I don't think becoming his romantic partner is ideal at this moment," Taehyun answered. "I mean… with me openly saying I'm a Scher, though… it might ruin his reputation…"

"What reputation? He's known for having the fattest crush on you," Ryujin joked with a slight laugh. "If you know what's right for you, then that's best, I guess. But from what I can see, you like him too. So stop lying to yourself and just… date him, damn it."

Taehyun laughed. "You sound frustrated."

"That's because I am," she confirmed with the same tone as her last sentence. "You two look so cute together, too. I recommend accepting his feelings before he thinks he will never have a chance with you. He'll think you're just tolerating him and have no intention of accepting his feelings."

"Sounds like Beomgyu to think something like that," Taehyun sighed, resting his head on his hand. "I never want to hurt him. I want him to be happy, and I'm not sure if he'll be happiest with me…"

"Idiot — the one thing he enjoys the most right now is being beside you. Accept that, and I'm sure you'll realise how much he means to you, Kang Taehyun."

[ I'm so sorry for the slow burn lol ]

[ — ERICVERSE ]