skylight

"Why do you trust people so easily?"

Beomgyu and Taehyun stepped out the library, the slightly shorter boy holding Beomgyu's wrist. "He said he's a good guy. Yeah, he's a Scher, but so are we. And I have Binding, so if he tries to get out of hand, then I'll just use it."

"Herrscher power is extremely draining, I thought you knew this," Taehyun muttered under his breath. "Beomgyu, you're… you're all I have. I can't lose you now — you can barely hold yourself up against a Scher when you can barely fight."

"Yeah, I know," Beomgyu sighed. "But Junseo is genuinely a good guy. I haven't known him to do anything bad." Taehyun didn't seem convinced and Beomgyu sighed, putting a hand to Taehyun's cheek gently. "Hey, just trust my judgement for once, okay? I know what I'm doing. He's not a bad kid."

"What does he want, anyways?" Taehyun sighed, removing Beomgyu's hand from his cheek just in case other students saw them. "The situation here at school is currently neutral, so I don't think anyone would act up."

"Of course not, not when they know you're strong enough to kill a Herrscher yourself," Beomgyu scoffed. "He just… wants to help. Ryujin's only human, and I barely know how to use my power. Heck, I can hardly manifest them in a physical form. I'm sure another addition will do no harm. Okay, baby?"

"Don't call me baby."

"You're my baby." Beomgyu gently kissed Taehyun's nose, a grin on his lips. "Come on, we can speak to Junseo together."

Junseo sat inside the library in the best in front of Ryujin, talking to her about something the couple were unaware of. Taehyun looked at Beomgyu one last time before sitting beside Ryujin, while Beomgyu sat beside the newly arrived boy. Junseo held his hands together on his lap, feeling a bit awkward under Taehyun's gaze.

"So you're the Seventh Herrscher," Junseo began, earning a nod from the other. "Before I'm, uh, seen under a bad light, I'd just like to say that I'm not a bad guy. I genuinely have never hurt a human in my life—"

"Still don't trust you."

"Tae, give him a chance," Ryujin said, crossing her arms. "I'm human, and I can tell that he'd perfectly fine."

"His energy is weak too, so he's not capable of much," Beomgyu added, looking at the boy beside him. Junseo smiled, his eyes brightening as the two defended him. "So, Tae, are we going to introduce him to the Captain?"

"I don't think we should bother her," Taehyun denied, shaking his head. "Listen here, Junseo. Anti-Entropy is stricter than you think. They'd hesitantly let Scher trainees in, seeing as Scher have quite an advantage above humans when it comes to physical abilities. Besides, Scher are also unpredictable due to the instinct. I was human before, so it's easy to ignore the instinct, but we don't know about you."

"I'd never hurt a human," Junseo said quickly, his tone desperate. "While I'm telling you my identity so that I'm not suspected for any Scher attacks that happen, I also want to prove my worth. I swear, I can be one of the good guys. I want to help."

Taehyun looked at him, almost scoffing as he looked away. "You think I'm one of the good guys…?"

"Hey." Taehyun looked at his boyfriend, who had begun to frown. "You are a good guy."

Taehyun looked down at his crossed arms. He was about to respond, but the door to the library opened and another student stepped in, causing the conversation to have a sudden stop. Taehyun looked at Junseo before sighing. "I'll have a word with Captain Minseon soon. I'm not sure if they can or will utilise you, but we'll see."

"I swear you can trust me," Junseo said, a bright and innocent smile decorating his expression. "If I ever turn my back on you, you can express your anger however you want."

Taehyun scoffed, looking away. "Of course I'm going to kill you if you betray us."

The table fell silent before Beomgyu cleared his throat, catching all their attention. "R-right. I'll take Taehyun off your hands for now. Welcome to the team, Junseo."

The library door opened and the principal walked in, a strangely dressed man walking beside him. He had a handsome face with fierce eyes. He took the gun from his holster on his hip, holding it out and aiming it quickly at Taehyun. "There he is."

Beomgyu widened his eyes, quickly moving to stand up. "Taehyun—"

"Don't interfere," the man at the door said quickly. "I won't hesitate to neutralise you as well, Pseudo. I'm from Anti-Entropy, and I'm just doing my job."

Ryujin had moved out the way quickly to not get in the way of any stray bullets. The gun he held made a sound and a gauge filled with bright blue glowing liquid. Taehyun moved backwards, raising his hand to form a cube to defend himself. Beomgyu detected Scher energy from the man, but wasn't sure if he was just reading Junseo.

"He's from a Scher Containment Protocol Unit," Junseo said quickly, but the man shot the bullet at him, quickly flicking from Taehyun to him. Junseo yelped, pulling the tranquilizer dart out his arm. He fell to the ground, his eyes closed.

"Why are you doing this?" Beomgyu asked with a panicked tone, moving around the table to stand in front of Taehyun. "You could've asked us to just come down to the office."

"This has nothing to do with you, Pseudo," the man said. "Captain said he wouldn't comply, so I'm taking the necessary measurements."

"So you've got orders from Lee Minseon," Taehyun muttered, the cube in his hands getting smaller but redder. "What'd she say?"

"That your core is acting up," the man said, recharging the gun. "Look, I have no time to waste, so let me get this over with."

He shot a dart at Beomgyu, and the boy had no way of defending himself, so the dart lodged in his arm. Taehyun increased the size of the cube but the man just aimed at his leg. The neutraliser activated and the two boys fell to the ground. He pointed the gun at Ryujin, flicking it in the direction of the door. She nodded, running out immediately.

The man pressed on his watch, lifting it near his mouth. "Agent Q of Unit B. The Herrscher has been tranquilised, as well as the Pseudo Herrscher of Binding. Another Scher was in the room, and he seemed to be communicating with them."

"Bring him along. Good work, Changmin."

"Just doing my job."