bad dream

"No… no… no! Let me g—! No!"

Heeseung backed against the wall, his breath heavy as the figure with glowing orange hands neared him ever so threateningly. His heart hammered in his chest, gulping nervously. He had nowhere else to go. The person stood less than a metre away, their eyes glowing a faint orange as well.

"Come on, you're my friend — you can't do this to me," Heeseung said quickly, his voice shaky with nervousness. "Y-you can't kill me like this!"

"I'm sorry, hyung — I need you right now. I'm growing weak…"

"Look, you don't need to take me," Heeseung said quickly, holding his hand forward to defend himself. "I-I can help you get someone better. I won't tell anyone you're a Scher — just… spare me. Please. I'll help you. I promise."

The person in front of his hesitated before nodding. "O-okay. Don't tell anyone. If you do… I'll eat you alive."

Heeseung gulped nervously before nodding. He slowly stood up, still keeping his back to the wall. "You know… Beomgyu is working with the Scher Containment Protocol Unit. I don't recommend being by his side as a friend. He could probably tell, and he'll get you taken away."

"No — he'll pity me," the person muttered. "If he tries anything, I'll take his soul too."

"Yo, Park Jjongsaeng!"

Beomgyu grinned as he stopped by Jay's locker, slamming it closed and leaning against it. Jay seemed irritated before sighing, crossing his arms. "You're quite energetic for a morning. You okay?"

Beomgyu was grinning brightly. "There's a chance Kang Taehyun likes me."

"Oh, how fantastic — you locked my phone in my locker," Jay said, shooing him to the side and opening his locker again. "How did you know he likes you back?"

"I mean, we've been friends for a while and he got to know how pleasant and amazing I am," Beomgyu smiled, flicking his hair dramatically. "Of course he'd like me. Someone as gorgeous as him needs to be with someone like me. We're a perfect match."

Jay chuckled, closing his bag and lifting it to his shoulder. "I'm glad you feel like you're closer to him. After all, you've been nothing but pathetic since you laid eyes on him."

"I'm clearly simping, leave me alone," Beomgyu scoffed, walking beside Jay to their first class. "I'd like to be his boyfriend. Having someone so magnificent and ethereal become mine feels like a dream."

"What makes him so fantastic, anyways?" Jay asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "For me, he's just another classmate. Sure, he's attractive, but… not my type."

"It's because he's taller than you."

"Shut up, I prefer cute boys."

Beomgyu smiled, looking up at the ceiling as he thought. "There's nothing special about him, really. He's just… just right. A perfect fit for Choi Beomgyu. I just like him. You don't really need a reason to like anyone, right?"

Jay shrugged. "I guess not…"

"And why didn't you answer your phone last night?!" Beomgyu suddenly exclaimed, crossing his arms. "I needed help with the geography because we know the gays are directionally challenged. I called and messaged, but you never answered me. What gives?"

"Oh, I misplaced my phone that evening and found it in the washing basket in the morning," Jay chuckled awkwardly. "Sorry about that. I can help you before class, you know."

"Would've prefered to do it last night," Beomgyu muttered. He suddenly frowned, side-eyeing Jay suspiciously. Jay was almost never without his phone. He would never just misplace it, even on accident.

He must've been busy that night.

Heeseung smiled as he waved at Taehyun, walking towards him. "Taehyun-ah! Have you seen Beomgyu anywhere?"

Taehyun looked at him for a moment before shaking his head. "No, I'm looking for him as well. He was supposed to meet me in the library, but he didn't show."

Heeseung frowned as he stopped just in front of him. "Strange. I haven't seen him since chemistry. Do you think he's okay?"

"Not too sure anymore, since he's missing," Taehyun muttered with a thoughtful hum. "Since we're looking for him, we should split up and look around the school grounds. I'll do the left of the middle staircase, you do the right."

Heeseung nodded and they walked into the school building from the courtyard, splitting up as said. Taehyun could sense Scher activity in the area, since they could practically smell the scent of a Scher. He wanted to check the rooftop again, but it seemed to more come from a classroom near him.

"Somewhere here…"

Taehyun reached the second floor and he widened his eyes. The corridor was empty. He looked behind him, seeing no one. Why was it so empty? Taehyun gulped, walking forward and following his gut feeling. There was definitely a Scher trying to consume someone, and it was nearby.

He hoped it wasn't Beomgyu.

He opened a classroom door — nothing. He walked ahead, opening another door. Still nothing. He reached the door right before the end of the corridor and tugged at the door. It was locked. However, it was where the scent was most strongest. Taehyun felt his heart hammering in his chest. "Beomgyu…!"

"Jay, what's up with you?" Beomgyu frowned, looking at his friend with worried eyes. "You've been weird since the morning. Heeseung told me to check on you, since you're being a little weird…"

Jay looked at him with a blank expression. "Sometimes I wished that schools didn't have this narrow-minded idea of what a Scher is. Not all of them shy away from society, doomed with the thought of being a monster. Some of us are just hungry for more power, and a good soul is often close by."

"Us? Jay, what are you talking about?" Beomgyu frowned, stepping backwards in fear. "You said that your test was negative. Y-you… hey, you're a good guy, right?"

"No," Jay answered simply, "but you are, aren't you? There are very few like you in this school, which is why I have to consume you before someone else does."

There was slamming on the door as someone attempted to open the door. The door had been locked. Beomgyu was paralyzed in fear, unable to move. Jay stepped towards him, almost menacingly, with the clear intention of taking his soul.

He was done for.