endless dream, good night

"You'll pay for this! You damned traitor! The other Schers will come for you!"

Beomgyu felt his stomach turning as they dragged away the navy blue-haired boy. The tall woman, albeit not taller than him, stood beside him, her arms crossed. "Well done on your first case, informant. How did you know he was a Scher?"

Beomgyu was quiet, staring at the ground. "H-he targeted me… I couldn't m-move… I thought I was done for…!"

"Your Taehyun friend isn't exactly a Scher," she continued, uncrossing her arms. "I'm sure he'll tell you his case if you ask nicely enough. I know for sure he didn't initiate that attack yesterday. We'll question this boy we have detained today. What style did he use?"

"Style…?"

"Never mind, your friend will explain that as well," she sighed. "Kang Taehyun was his name… he's like myself. One of the good ones. Treasure him — he'll protect a fragile human like yourself from everything bad in this world. He could possibly be stronger than me. I'll be seeing you soon, Choi Beomgyu. Take care."

Beomgyu bowed and she walked off, her long hair shimmering in the sunlight. Beomgyu wondered about her hair for a moment, wondering how someone could have such long lustrous hair, but remembered suddenly that classes had started and he was late. He saw Taehyun standing outside the office and walked towards him.

Taehyun widened his eyes. "B-Beomgyu…"

Beomgyu stopped just in front of him. Silence enveloped them, and Taehyun found himself staring at the floor quietly. "You're still my lovely Taehyun, right?"

Taehyun looked up at him in shock. "You don't hate me…?"

"Of course not," Beomgyu smiled. "If that Protocol lady can be a Scher and help humans, then you can as well, right?"

Taehyun smiled, looking down at the ground with burning cheeks. Beomgyu blushed as well, holding his hands behind him bashfully. Taehyun cleared his throat suddenly. "I'm not fully a Scher, by the way. I just… had an accident that turned me into one. For most of my life, I was human. It's why I'm not exactly shying away from everyone — I love being with people, but… I'm afraid of hurting anyone as a Scher."

"But you'll never hurt anyone," Beomgyu said firmly. "You're my sweet, lovely, amazing, cute, beautiful Kang Taehyun. You're too amazing to hurt anyone. It doesn't matter if you're a Scher — I'll always like you."

Taehyun looked down again, his cheeks still burning red. "I still need to properly explain myself to you — and you need to explain things to me as well. You told that woman about my rumors, didn't you?"

"I felt compelled to, I couldn't hold it in," Beomgyu muttered awkwardly. "I kept defending you, because you are the exact opposite of a Scher. Truly, there's no way someone as amazing as you can ever be a Scher. But… now you are, and you somehow fought another Scher and got him detained… are you strong?"

"I'm the strongest Scher I've seen so far, honestly," Taehyun answered. "I don't use my style often, but I… hey, I can explain this later. Let's just get to class for now."

Taehyun and Beomgyu sat together at a park, an iced tea in both their hands as they basked in the afternoon sun. School had finished, and the two decided to accompany each other so that they could explain things to one another. Taehyun clearly had a lot to say.

"I grew up human," Taehyun began softly. "I had no idea what a Scher was, and I didn't know they could so blatantly hurt humans. I was innocent, and I loved making new friends. Then I became an experiment — the first human to be infused with the blood of a Scher. I've got the power, and it felt cool to have superhuman abilities."

"So that's what that woman called a 'style'…"

"Exactly so," Taehyun nodded. "I'll show you soon, but anyways… I found out what it implied to be a Scher, and I immediately labeled myself as a monster. A freak. I began pushing friends away until I was all alone. I didn't want to hurt them, of course — even if I knew I'd never consume a soul. I'm still human deep inside."

"So you're a good guy!" Beomgyu suddenly exclaimed with a grin. "You can work with us. I'm the Scher Containment Protocol informant amongst the students. We'll help them take away the bad Schers. How's that, huh? Prove that you're not one of the bad ones."

"I got questioned, you know," Taehyun chuckled, turning to him. "I didn't hide my aura as she tested me, and it came out positive this time. I told her that it wasn't me that initiated that attack yesterday, and she believed me. I'd never hurt a human — especially you, Choi Beomgyu. You're a nice guy — you have a beautiful soul — but I could never lose the person that displays the qualities of that soul."

Beomgyu grinned, pressing his head against Taehyun's. "I knew you were too good to be a Scher."

"I want to get rid of these qualities, anyways," Taehyun muttered. "I don't want to be a Scher. It makes me a monster. In the eyes of adversity, I'm afraid I'll hurt you, Beomgyu. It's why I don't want to be around you all the time. It's also why I… can never accept your feelings…"

"Hey." Beomgyu still held a smile on his lips. "To hell with my feelings right now, okay? It's about what you feel. You're not obligated to like me back at all, Taehyun-ah. Just keep being the lovely boy you are, and I'll keep liking the lovely boy that you are. Going through things is normal, and… whether I become a romantic interest to you or not is up to time, and up to you. Yes, I like you, but… take your time."

Taehyun looked at him, his cheeks pink with embarrassment. Beomgyu looked away as well, a sheepish grin decorating his expression. Taehyun cleared his throat, standing up from the grass quickly and holding his hand out. "You're cute sometimes, you know? Let's go."