8: Stay Gold

A/N My math teacher just told everyone about the drama going on in her life... It was very entertaining. And it took like 20 minutes of class, so yay!

(Keefe)

Foster and I wandered the abandoned halls of Foxfire. I had promised her that I would take her to the Mentors Cafeteria once we were able to get out of bed. It had taken her 4 hours to figure out how to use the crutches without falling over every few seconds. So here we are, roaming the silent halls of our school.

"Turn here," I whisper. Making her jump, we had been quiet for so long. We took a few more turns and ended up in the Mentors Cafeteria. I took a deep breath because what I was about to do was scary, but Foster deserved this. We piled our plates with mallowmelt, custard bursts, ripplefluffs, and butterblasts. So many butterblasts.

"Soph? I've got something I want to show you." Why did I think this was a good idea?

Her eyebrows shoot up. "And what is that?" I run my hand through my unstyled hair.

"I asked Ro to stop by the Sores of Solace, and get something. I wanted to show you," I took another deep breath, as I reached into my cape pocket and pull out the gold notebook. "This."

"Oh, Keefe, you really don't have to!" I look her straight in the eyes.

"I know, I want to." Her emotions flutter at this, and it makes me smile a little. We go to sit down, and I slide the notebook to her. "Would you like to do the honors?"

She flips the notebook open to the first drawing and gasps. It's the first day we met. Really the only time ditching paid off. She continues to flip through the pages, speechless. When she landed on the drawing from when we flew across the ocean on Silveny.

"You told me that this was the first time you felt me trust you." She whispers. "But you were wrong. Looking back, it was really the first time I started to like you."

"That was when I started to feel myself fall more and more in love with you." I corrected her. She scooted closer to me so I could plant a kiss in her hair, and turned to the next page. It was from just before the second Nightfall invasion when I told her that I liked a challenge.

"I probably would have kissed you." I admitted, "I don't know. It just seemed so perfect."

"I... Don't think I would've minded."

I see my chance now, so I take it.

"I- uh- can I kiss you?" I ask. She leans closer to me.

"You don't have to ask."

So I kiss her. It's long, sweet, passionate, and perfect.

We continue looking through the drawing, laughing at the memories. Though not all of them are happy, we're proud that we pushed through. Together.

"Those were beautiful, sweetie," Sophie tells me when we reach the end of the drawings.

"Just like you," I respond, and a blush blossoms across her cheeks. I grab her crutches and hand them to her. We leave for the Healing Center, ten times happier than we were before. And I think I know what I'm going to draw next.

A/N Did anyone else get the reference in the chapter title? This is probably the longest chapter I've written for this book. Also, I'm just going the thank you rn for 100 views (even though it's at 98 at the time I'm writing this) ~ Rae

Chapter questions

What was your reaction to the Sophex kiss in Nightfall?

What was your reaction to when Keefe joined the Neverseen?