Sleep

A/N Happy Presidents to all my American readers (I actually had to google to make sure it was just an American thing today lol) I only really like this holiday because I get the day off of school... ~Rae

D

(Sophie)

I was sitting on my bed, reading a book, chilling on a  Saturday morning as it sprinkled rain outside when Keefe leaped into my room. I jumped up to greet him, and he wrapped me in his arms and kissed my forehead, our way of saying hello. 

"Good morning Soph," He whispers and kisses my forehead again. I look up to study his face, frowning when I see the dark circles under his eyes.

"When was the last time you slept?" I ask.

He ducks his head away, avoiding my eyes, "It doesn't matter,"

"Tell me, Keefe," I demand, "I'm worried about you,"

"I... Don't remember," He confesses.

I tilt his head up so he's looking at me, and trace the dark circles under his eyes.

"You're exhausted, honey,"

Keefe pulled away from me, "I'm fine!"

"No! You're not! What's been keeping you from sleeping? You can tell me," 

He turns away from me and goes to sit on my bed, his eyes fixated on the floor. I sit next to him and grab his hand, lacing my gloved fingers with his.

"Please, Keefe," I plead. 

He squeezes my hand so hard it almost cuts off circulation before whispering, "Nightmares,"

Oh. My poor, sweet boy.

"You don't have to tell-" I start, but he cuts me off.

"About The Neverseen. My dad calling me a disappointment. My mom manipulating me for my so-called 'Legacy' and... You,"

I was confused now, "Me?"

"You leaving me or getting tortured, or so hurt that Elwin can't fix you.  The worst ones are when..." He swallows, "When my mom forces me to watch her kill you,"

Keefe shakes his head, erasing the images from his mind.

I cup his face, wiping away a stray tear with my thumb. "Keefe," How do I even comfort him about this? "You should have told me. In fact-" I scoot so I'm at the head of my bed, leaning against my pillow- "Come here,"

"What?"

"Come here. I'll help you sleep,"

He tilts his head in confusion, "How?"

"I'm a telepath, remember? I can monitor your dreams, if I see anything start to go downhill, I'll wake you up, or transmit a happy memory,"

Keefe considers this for a second before giving in and laying down next to me, resting his head on my chest so that we're cuddling. I reach up to play with his hair, he noticeably relaxes at my touch.

"You never let me play with your hair, but you like it," I whisper.

"Mhm," He mumbles, already half-asleep.

I smile down at him as his breathing slows.

"Goodnight baby, I love you," I whisper before entering his mind, prepared to ward off any bad dreams coming his way.

A/N Just a reminder that I take requests for any one-shots you want to see! ~Rae