Pinky Promises

A/N I'm back guys! And I couldn't be happier! I missed writing for you guys sososososososo much!!!!!! In fact, I got a little antsy and wrote this one back in June... And I know I usually put fanart at the top of my one-shots, but ALL of my photos are gone ) :  ~Rae

NDY

Human AU

Ever since Sophie and Keefe met when they were five, they had been making pinky promises. Over little things, like saving the other a seat in the cafeteria. Over bigger things, like going to the same school. And sure, they had broken a few, but it usually was things they didn't have control over. Besides, only five broken promises over ten years were impressive.

They had always been there for each other, too, an unbroken, unspoken promise they made when they were six after Keefe had opened up to Sophie about his home life when she asked why she'd never been to his house.

And when Sophie was twelve and her parents and sister had died in a car crash and she went to live with her mom's friends Grady and Edaline, Keefe was right by her side, offering a shoulder to cry on when she needed it most.

When Keefe was thirteen and called Sophie in tears telling her that his mom had left him and his dad, she was at his house in what seemed like a matter of seconds to comfort him, and let him know that if he ever needed a place to stay, her home was always available— which Grady wasn't too happy about.

When they got the news that their favorite teacher Kenric had died in a house fire over Thanksgiving break after cooking a turkey went wrong.

When their friend Calla died saving a family's life.

When their neighbor Mr. Forkle had gone missing and was presumed dead, only for him to show up a few weeks later, completely unharmed.

They did have other friends, of course, Fitz, who had helped Keefe adjust after he was bumped up a grade in middle school, and his sister Biana who didn't like Sophie at first, probably because she had an obvious crush on Keefe. And Dex, who was Sophie's adoptive cousin and the only other person who had talked to her after her parent's death. But Sophie and Keefe shared a bond that no one else had, they understood each other in ways everyone else simply didn't. And whether or not they liked it, their friends and family had always suspected that they'd end up dating one day.

Keefe had known he'd had a crush on Sophie since they were 13 but never admitted it, telling himself over and over again that their friendship was too valuable, no matter how many times his older sister Ro had bugged him to do it. But instead of getting weaker and disappearing over time like Keefe figured they would, his feeling only got more substantial and more obvious, after all, his best friend was getting more beautiful.

As for Sophie, for years she had assumed she had liked Fitz, but when he began showing feelings for Dex, she started to take a closer look at her best friend, butterflies that were long overdue to come out of their cocoons started emerging, and feelings she didn't even know she'd been burying started to surface.

Sure these strange new feelings did scare the two teenagers, but that didn't stop them from growing increasingly harder not to notice the red flush on the others cheeks whenever they touched.

One evening when Keefe walked over to Sophie's home, and saw her sitting on her lawn, her silhouette against the vibrant pinks reds, and oranges of the sunset deeply invested in her book and looking absolutely stunning, even though her honey blonde hair was falling out of a messy ponytail and she was wearing an oversized Gryffindor sweatshirt and pink striped pajama pants, both which probably had pizza stains on them. He decided then and there that he didn't want to wait anymore. He wanted to be able to tell her she was beautiful without the awkward question hanging in the air, wanted to be able to hold her and have her know that he meant so much more than friendship. When he was 13 he worried about ruining their friendship, but now he knew that even if things didn't work out the way he wanted them to, they had to strengthen a bond for something as small, simple, and silly as crushes to destroy it. Besides, if Sophie and Dex could overcome it, so could they.

"Hey, Foster," He greeted as he strolled up behind her. She held up a hand, signaling to him that now was not the best time in her book to be interrupted. He glanced at the cover, reading the title. They Both Die at the End, Keefe smiled and shook his head, wondering why anyone would ever want to read something like that, and knowing that in a day or so, she'd be a teary mess. He waited a few minutes for her to finish the part she was on. Once she did, she grabbed her bookmark— A bright blue Mott's fruit snack wrapper of all things— and stuck it between the pages, closing the book.

"Hi Keefe," Sophie said, standing up to hug him. It was their normal greeting and had been for a long time. Their hugs had changed over the years with their height. For a while they were about the same height, Sophie maybe being a half inch shorter. Though when they were kids, every now and then Keefe would grow a few inches, but it would level out after a couple of months, there were even a handful of awkward weeks in sixth grade where it was Sophie that was taller. Now they were at the perfect heights where Sophie could lean her head against Keefe's shoulder and he could rest his chin on her head. Right now Keefe wanted nothing more than to be able to kiss the top of her head, and Sophie wanted nothing more than for him to do exactly that.

"I-uh- wanted to talk to you about something," Keefe stumbled over his words, trying to piece together how he was going to do this.

"Okay?" Sophie agreed, confused on why he was suddenly so pink. In all the years she'd known him, she was pretty sure she had never seen him blush. Come to think of it, he was kind of cute when he did. She quickly pushed the thought aside, turning her attention back to him.

Keefe took in a deep breath, "You have to promise not to hate me."

Sophie held up her pinky "Promise" They hooked their pinkies together, smiling at the old tradition.

Keefe hesitated a second, trying to put together his words, "There's- I should- I know- I- um" He fumbled over his words, the butterflies swarming even more in his stomach when Sophies frowned in concern, making a little crinkle between her eyebrows that he wanted nothing more than to reach up and smooth. He took in another breath trying to compose himself. "I know I'm... me... and we've been friends forever, but I like you a lot. Maybe love." There. He said it.

It was the last thing Sophie expected him to say, and the best thing he could have. She opened her mouth trying to say something. And then closed it. And then opened it again. Panic coursed through her when his face started to fall. She struggled to put comprehensive words together, fearing that their friendship was slipping away. This would be so much easier if there was some way that he could just feel her emotions too.

"I- um- I maybe love you too!" She blurted out. That was the best she could do.

Keefe's face morphed into the beam that she loved so much but rarely got to see. She decided then and there that she would try to make him smile like that as often as she could.

Sophie was smiling too, a smile that made Keefe want with his entire being to kiss her. He stepped a little closer, tearing down every single wall he had put up in the past two years, and started to fall for her, really fall, letting his eyes land on the soft rose petal color of her lips. Sophie's eyes flit down to his too; and he reaches up a shaking hand and rests it on her cheek, the soft touch sending sparks through both of their bodies. They lean in slowly, a little nervous, and lightly press their lips together. The kiss lasted no longer than a second, their lips barely touching. But it was enough to communicate everything it needed to.

They walked together back to Keefe's house, the sky a rusty blue, and the first few stars peaking through. Sophie and Keefe hooked their pinkies together again, forming another unspoken pinky promise.

A/N Not gonna lie, this is one of my favorites! ~Rae