Betrayal

D

(Sophie)

I knocked on the door to Keefe's room at the Shores of Solace, Mr. Forkle had just delivered some really bad news, and I needed to see how he had received it. No answer. I knew he was home because I had seen his figure in the window, so I opened the door anyway. And there was Keefe, standing over a bag on his bed, a tunic in his hands. He froze when he saw me, like a deer in headlights. I walked over to where he was standing and took the tunic out of his hands, laying it on the bed.

"You are not running away again," I told him firmly.

He opened his mouth to explain but I pressed my finger against his lips, silencing him.

"I don't want to hear it, Keefe. You've already run away once, and you saw how well that worked out. Leaving again won't fix what your dad did,"

Keefe dropped his head, "I'm sorry, You're right. I didn't think this through at all," He collapsed onto his bed, his head against his hands. I sat down next to him and ran a comforting hand up and down his back.

"I shouldn't be surprised that my dad was also part of the Neverseen," He sniffled, "I guess a part of me thought that there was a part of him that was still good, but-" A tear ran down his cheek.

I wrapped my arm around him, squeezing him tight. "You know, someone once told me that our family doesn't decide who we are, we decide who we are. And he's pretty smart, so I'd listen to him if I were you,"

The idea of a smile played on Keefe's lips as he said, "That sounds familiar,"

"Do you need anything? Lushberry juice? Mallowmelt? Alone time? If you want me to leave, I will,"

He forcefully shook his head, "No. Stay. If you leave chances are I'll do something stupid again,"

"We'll get through this, I promise," I whisper, "I love you,"

He laced our fingers together, "I love you too,"

And so I sat there, supporting my sweet boy as best I could as he struggled through yet another time of struggle. 

"You're seriously amazing Soph, you deserve so much better than me" 

"Stop lying"

"I'm not lying. You deserve someone who doesn't have all these problems I do. Someone who doesn't have a 'legacy'. Someone who doesn't have creepy parents. Someone without all this guilt. Someone who isn't on the brink of breaking like I am," 

"But I want you, not some other elf. It's all of your imperfections that make you perfect. They're one of the many reasons I love you," 

Keefe looked like he was going to cry again.

"I- thank you, Foster. I needed that,"

"I'm always here to help,"

A/N And that was today's oneshot! Please remember to vote, and comment any requests! ~ Rae