Stay

She is woken by a cellphone at 5 am on Sunday. She grabs her phone and then realizes the ringing is not coming from her phone. She scratches around a bit and eventually pulls out a phone from her bag. She forgot she has a work phone. Bad form. It stops ringing but immediately starts up again.

"Hello?"

"Lil mama! I was just about to send a search party for ya!

Austin. A drunk Austin.

"I was out with some friends and thought - Austin why are you back in LA? You signed the deal on the house! That's why I am out. I was celebrating the house and the move."

Austin makes a weird sound and then it sounds like he may have tripped. Then he is laughing and Marli can hear women laughing in the background too.

"Hello? You still there?"

"Yes, Austin."

"OK good, as I was saying. Today. Today we are moving. Pack up your stuff and meet me at my LA house at 10 am."

"I don't know where you live, Austin."

"Oh shit, sorry. OK, I will text you the address. 10 am! Don't be late."

There is more giggling from women in the background then the line goes dead. Marli wants to cry. Woman? Skanks are more like it. She knows it's because she is jealous. Thoughts of ripping Austin away from those disgusting skanks go through her mind. The thing is though that Marli should not be thinking these thoughts or feeling these feelings. Austin is her boss and in the 6 days that she has known him he has chosen to drench his demons in liquor and loose woman. Marli should not want any part of this. Marli should quit.

Marli should get away from Austin.

But she doesn't and by 9 am her room is stripped bare and shoved into black bags. She is not sure what to do with her car so she just loads it up with the bags, it can stay at Austin's LA house maybe. She checks her phone but there is still no message from Austin about his address so she phones Jonas who sounds annoyed and very busy. "I will text you the address right now. Oh and Marli, I am really sorry about this," he grumbles. Once Marli gets the text from him she points her rust trap Mini Cooper in the direction of Austin's LA home. Austin's LA mansion is just as impressive as the new Salt Lake City house. Maybe even a little more. She drives her car up the driveway and parks it next to a white fancy looking car. Climbing out she sees about 30 people carrying boxes and furniture out to three moving vans. Jonas is standing on the front steps with a clipboard looking at Marli with an apologetic face and when she reaches him he hands her a cup of coffee. "Thought you might need this," he says. She smiles gratefully taking the coffee. She explains she has stuff in her car and Jonas tells one of the movers to put everything from her car into one of the moving vans. "We will get one of those mechanics to take your car up with the rest of Austin's cars, they are going up in convoy tomorrow. Austin wants to fly this afternoon. Rich dick can't be bothered with driving one of his 12 cars," he mumbles as Marli quietly sips on her coffee while standing next to him. She watches a cab drive up the driveway and stop near the front door. Then the sound of giggling skanks makes her snap her head towards the front door. Three. There are three skanks exiting the house. They don't acknowledge anyone, just pile into the cab and are whisked away. Nasty girls.

A good half an hour later Jonas has Marli crying with laughter or fear, she is not sure. She should walk away, and go home to New York. "OK, I have another one. Why don't oysters donate to charity?" he asks proudly. Marli is about to guess when Austin appears behind Jonas suddenly. "No! Absolutely not! Jonas how many jokes have you said today?" Austin asks sternly. Jonas spins around to face Austin. "This is the first one. I swear!" he says while Austin raises his eyebrows. "Jonas!" he warns. "OK geez. 5, 6 maybe," Jonas says. That's a lie, Marli corrects him, "this was his 10th one," she says. Austin's mouth drops open and Jonas puts his hands up in defeat, taking a step back. "OK, OK I am sorry I got carried away. She didn't stop me. It was a moment of weakness," he says. Austin walks around Jonas and stands next to Marli then holds up three fingers. "Three days Jonas. No jokes for three days. Follow me," he says then looks at Marli and gestures over his shoulder at her. "Oh come on! You are overreacting!" Jonas moans as Marli follows Austin down the steps. Austin shouts back over his shoulder, "three days, Jonas! Three fucking days!"