Run

As the days tumble on the kissing never stops and Austin's behavior becomes more erratic. But the songs and music tumbling out of him sound like magic. The record label is ecstatic with the news of his progress and is talking about an early album release and a tour. The ice cream/candy bar never happens - what does happen though is the liquor in the bar slowly gets restored and when Jonas asks why Austin snorts and explains that it's his way of challenging himself. He wants to prove to himself that he does not need to drink even if there is liquor in the house and adds for good measure that he is getting tired of Jonas' judgy face. Jonas moves out of the house and into his own place a few miles down the road, and he suggests Marli do the same.

She could never, Austin needs her.

One morning Marli is lying half asleep by the pool soaking up the sun when Austin wakes her up. "Get up, we are going shopping," he says pulling Marli inside and pushing her to her room ignoring her protests. By the time night has fallen, they have been to LA and back. Marli feels like she has been caught in a whirlwind, an Austinwind. The day was spent at Giorgio Armani, he buys nothing for himself but everything for Marli. Bags, shoes, clothing, accessories, and jewelry. She is in a constant flurry of hands touching her, being pushed in and out of dressing rooms paraded in front of Austin for a nod of his head in approval. Austin talks to everyone except her, acknowledging everyone except her. He never says a word to her. Doesn't ask if she even likes the stuff he buys her and when she protests he ignores it. It's insane behavior. All Marli can do is shut the fuck up and take part. Now back at home, she is sitting on the floor of the formal lounge hidden between at least 100 boxes and bags while trying to explain to Jonas what happened but she can hardly get the words to tumble past the lump in her throat. Austin has all but disappeared and she wants none of this stuff. Jonas tries to soothe her and suggests she does not unpack anything, but rather sends it on to New York and follows suit.

Marli can't do that, Austin needs her.

After that, the skanks start coming back to the house too. Never to his bedroom though and thankfully he also has the sense to make the cave off-limits to them. He keeps them hanging around the main house, the swimming pool, and spare rooms. They ignore Marli or treat her like the help. Technically she is just the help, but this is still her home and she hates that they are here. That they are always here like annoying little nats. Eventually, Austin also stops kissing Marli and going on their morning runs. He starts a steady flow of alcohol washing over him again, drugs too. Then she finds herself being woken up by him at midnight again, being sick on himself and needing Marli to clean him up. "You drink too much, Austin," she whispers while wiping his face clean. "I know, lil mama. But these demons are loud," he always whispers back. She wishes he would tell her what his demons are. "You need rehab. Please," she will beg but he will only shake his head and smile softly at her as he falls asleep. "That's why I have you," he says.

Marli finds herself wiping tears away daily and Charlie tries to fix her sadness with food while Jonas shakes his head. Austin sees nothing.

~

A few weeks later on a hot Friday morning, Charlie serves breakfast outside by the pool. Although Jonas now lives on his own the promise of an amazing breakfast by Charlie has him showing up every morning bright and early.

"What do you call a belt made of watches?"

Marli moans, the punch line is going to be dumb.

"I don't know Jonas, tell me," Marli rolls her eyes at him.

"A waste of time!"

Charlie picks up the pancakes he just placed in front of Jonas. "Now you don't get to enjoy these. Because you are an idiot," he says.