Better Now

Lou shows up at the apartment a few minutes later. She had moved to New York about 16 months ago and works from home. Marli is not sure what she does actually, besides sticking to Marli like glue. When she had once asked Lou what she does for work, Lou said she works online for a very important fussy client that does her head in and has a big fucking mouth. She apparently has been instructed to look after his most precious asset but that it's top secret and she can't say much more than that. After Marli's split from Toby, she moved in with Lou, and honestly, she does not know what she would do without Lou. Lou was worried when Marli announced she had tickets to
Austin's show but as Marli explained this would help her close off the Austin chapter and help her move on. Lou looks nervous now and Marli knows it's just because she is worried as to how Marli is going to react when she sees Austin.

"Where have you been all afternoon, Lou?"

"I am 25 years old. You are not my mother. I don't have to tell you shit."

"You were at that salsa dance class. The one you pretend you don't go to."

"Shut up, Marli. What time are we leaving for this stupid show?"

"The show starts at 7 pm so we should actually leave now."

Lou lets out a heavy sigh and throws her not salsa shoes into the hall cupboard. "I am going to go for a quick shower and for the love of all things holy please stop playing on that guitar, my ears are fucking bleeding," she says and stomps off down the hallway.

~

They arrive in Midtown Manhattan and can hear the excitement coming from the fans at Madison Square Garden before they even see them. That electric energy she has been feeling all day is now tenfold and by the time they actually get to their seats in insection 108 the hairs on her arms are standing on end. They are not too far from the stage, but they are also not too close either. When the house lights go down there is no chance of Austin seeing her. She snorts at the ridiculous thought like Austin would even be looking for her. She lets herself think about some of the words to that scathing song he had written about her - letting herself remember that Austin hates her now. She is here only for closure. Besides, there are going to be 20 000 people here today, Austin would need to have superpowers to signal her out even if he was looking for her. Lou hands her a beer that she had gone to the concession stand to get and is busy grumbling about the long line when the house lights start to turn down. Marli's heart is in her throat, it's been two years and she is not sure she is ready to see him.

Then suddenly he appears. He just steps out of the shadows and walks up to the microphone, just like that. Marli's stomach does flip-flops.
The crowd is going wild, the lady next to Marli is so excited and is jumping up and down so much that half her popcorn is on the floor.
There is no music, no one besides Austin on the stage. He is just standing silently in front of the microphone looking out at the crowd. A soft smile on his beautiful full lips and a light dusting of facial hair on his strong jaw. After two years and lots of tears - Marli is still hopelessly in love with him. Stetson, black three-piece tailored suit with rhinestones splattered around it in swirling patterns, light pink dress shirt unbuttoned till just above the waistcoat, and black cowboy boots. He is also holding a guitar. Holy shit, he looks better than she thought he would. He has never looked so good. Austin slowly raises his hand up to still the crowd it takes some time but soon everyone is quiet. He then lifts the guitar up and hooks the strap over his shoulder the simple movement has the crowd screaming in excitement and so it takes a few more minutes for him to silence them again.

"Hello, my name is Austin Richard Post."

Crowd screams.

"I want to thank you all for coming out and I hope we put on a show here tonight that is worth your time."