Kiss the girl

Even though they live in the same house and sleep in the same bed they hardly see each other. Austin is busy rehearsing from dawn till dusk and then late into the night. There are meetings, promotions, and fans. Marli is no better, she is up to her elbows in scheduling day-to-day activities and managing his calendar. Liaising with his agent, tour manager, his PR team, lawyers, stylist, the list goes on. Every morning he will wake Marli softly tracing his fingers over her like she is a delicate China doll and whispering a million things into her skin that never quite translate in those early morning hours while he rocks into her. At night Marli will find a drunk and high Austin lying on the cold kitchen floor. She will tend to him, clean him and wrap him up in bed. She will attempt to soothe his ever-growing demons, demons that seem to be winning. Winning at what? Marli does not know, but he hates himself and it scares her.

The first time Marli is recognized by Austin's fans leaves Marli shaken, she does not know how Austin will respond. She is sure he will freak out. She is sure he will send her away. The thought makes her physically ill. It's the day before her birthday, and Marli has just finished approving another seven outfits with the stylist.
She and Lou are at the coffee shop waiting for Pratica to make up their large coffee order. Marli will drop the coffee at the studio and then meet Jonas to accompany him to three tour meetings. For now though, while waiting for the coffee order she is just taking a moment to breathe. She notices out of the corner of her eye a group of teenagers who keep looking in her direction and whispering among themselves. Lou must notice too as she moves her body and blocks Marli from their view. But then one lone teen boy is walking up to Marli. "Excuse me Miss, my friends and I were just wondering if you work for Austin Post. We are sure we have seen you in pictures with him," the boy says. 
Marli nods. "Yes, that's me," she says. The boy turns back to his friends giving them a thumbs up. This seems to help them throw caution to the wind as they all stand and come over. They all talk at once.

"I can't believe it!", "You are so lucky!", "Is he really as nice as people say!", " I wish I could meet him", "He is so cool", "Where is he now?" Marli tries to answer their questions as carefully as possible and soon they seem satisfied with their encounter with her and disperse. Once it's quiet again Marli sees two teen girls still standing near her both nudging each other with their elbows. Eventually, the one says for her friend to just grow up and ask Marli whatever questing has gotten them so nervous. Marli turns to face them, a silent invitation to end their turmoil. The pretty redhead smiles and then asks.

"You were the girl that was tugged into the crowd right?"

"Yes, that was me." 

"Oh my, well I am so glad you are alright. My friend and I think you are really beautiful. We love Austin Post. But we really like you too." 

"Thank you, that's really lovely of you to say." 

The redhead is nudged again by her friend, "ask her," she whispers.

"Are you Austin's girlfriend? Cos if you were that would be great. We would totally be supportive and stuff. You guys are like super cute together." 

Marli doesn't know what to say. She wants to say yes. She wants to tell them that she and Austin are in love and happy. She wants to tell them that Austin was balancing on a cliff edge but her love and patience steadies him. She wants to tell them that he is proud of having her by his side. That she is the love of his life. She can't though - none of that is true. But before she has a chance to say something someone else is talking. "Eew stop with that pathetic narrative. Austin would never date something as basic as that. If he is fucking her it's cos it's convenient and she is probably only spreading her disgusting legs because she is cheap and desperate. It's gross," a blue-haired girl says.
Marli is so embarrassed, she wants the floor to open up and swallow her. She can feel hot tears threatening to spill over her eyes. It upsets her because it's true, she is cheap and desperate. Austin does not love her, yet she stays. Why? Then Lou is pulling her out and gently pushing her into the Gwagon and the two teen girls are coming out of the coffee shop with Marli's order and handing it over to Lou. They look over at Marli with sad faces, the one girl's mouths, "sorry." Marli gives her a weak smile and then Lou is whisking Marli away.