Days like this

Marli wakes up facing the wall of the bus with Lou rubbing her back, wow, she really is a toddler.

"You awake lil mama?"

Ok, not Lou then...

Marli turns around to face Austin. "I am sorry if I am crossing a line. But I wanted to see if you were OK," he says. Why is he like this? Hard and harsh then kind and sweet. Marli nods and climbs out of her bunk. "I am fine. You stopped the bus just so you could get on this one?" she asks still blinking sleep out of her eyes. Austin is watching her carefully but shakes his head. "No, we are in Las Vegas. Parked at the hotel. We left you to sleep while unpacking. I also made a booking at a vet for Colt. It's in 30 minutes," he says. Marli looks around and sees Colt sitting just behind Austin. "Come here baby, you still limping?" she cuddles Colt. "Go and get ready, lil mama," Austin says. Marli stands and looks at Austin. She misses him and even though it feels like there is a deep pit between them, she will take what he gives her. She goes to wash her face and then gets her bag. "OK, I am ready. Let's go," she says.

Austin leads her and Colt to a black SUV, he opens the door for Marli and then helps Colt into the back seat. As if Colt knows he is going to the vet he puts his head on Marli's shoulder and starts whining. Marli tries to comfort him. "The dogs have really become attached to you, lil mama," Austin says. Marli kisses Colt. "I hope Colt's limp is no big issue," she says and Austin gives her a hopeful look. "I am sure it will be. You have looked after them well," he says. Colt whines again and Marli cuddles his closer. He may be the size of a small horse but he is a big baby. Turning into a large parking lot Marli can see the vet is in a strip mall. This is going to be a problem. It's Las Vegas, people seem to be a bit more brazen here, and with the hype of Austin's pending concert, she will be shocked if they make it to the vet doors before Austin is mobbed by fans. Austin must have the same thoughts because he puts on a hoodie and sunglasses. "That's not going to fool anyone," Marli says rolling her eyes at him. He then pulls out a fake mustache and slaps it on his top lip. Marli holds in her laugh for about two seconds before it comes tumbling out. "Austin! That's going to draw attention. You look awful," she says. Austin turns the rearview mirror to look at himself. "What? I think it looks great. I was thinking of growing my one thick like this one. Like Magnum PI," he defends himself. It takes Marli a good minute to stop laughing but she starts up again when Colt notices the fake mustache and starts barking at it.

"OK! Geez. Will you two pipe down!" Austin says ripping the mustache off his lip. "A man can't have anything nice!" he crosses his arms in a pout. Marli leans over, wrapping her arms around his neck "We are sorry. If you grow your real one out thick like that we won't laugh. Promise," she said. Austin smiles and gives her a chased kiss. Marli's heart skips a beat. "Come on, don't wanna be late," Austin says, and Marli's lips tingle.

Down the rabbit hole, we go again then.

Austin jumps out and helps Colt down, but his limp seems a little worse so he thinks better of it and picks him up. Marli does not look at how his muscles flex and strain under 140 pounds of dog, nope, not even once. Once inside the vet, no one recognizes him so he is now sitting with a smug face on in the vet waiting room with his eyebrows raised and looking at Marli, waiting for her to praise his clever disguise. "Wearing sunglasses inside is going to draw attention," she says. Austin puts his arm around the back of Marli's chair and brings his ankle up to rest on his knee. The smug bastard.

"Just admit it, lil mama. This disguise is genius."

"Never."

The waiting room is pretty empty. There is an old couple who look like they are in their 80's with a little wire-haired lap dog. The man keeps sneaking the dog bits of his sandwich and the lady pretends not to notice but her soft smile suggests she is committing the moment to memory. There is a woman, maybe 25? She has long strait brown hair and thick round glasses. A black and white cat is curled up on her lap while she is knitting something that looks like a scarf. There is also a man with a monkey, he offers to let Marli hold it when he catches her cooing at it. It's the cutest little thing dressed in a green tracksuit and when she cuddles it, it buries its head in her neck. After they have been waiting for about 15 minutes a family comes rushing in with their family dog, a golden retriever. The little boy is what has Marli captivated though. He is about 7 years old and has cowboy boots, dark jeans, a black top, and a white Stetson on. He looks like a mini version of Austin. He is running his little hands through his dog's long hair and his face is streaked with tears. The dog is curled up in the arms of a man Marli thinks looks like the boy's grandfather and whimpering in pain. The boy's mother is at the counter explaining to the lady that the dog had just been hit by a car. When Marli looks at Austin she sees he is watching the scene too, with sadness and worry etched on his face. Marli takes his hand squeezing it lightly when Austin turns to look at her.