Candy Cane Lane

Turns out that Christmas is going to be an even bigger affair than Marli thought. Jonas and Lou will be joining them as Jonas is not spending Christmas with his family and Lou's family all live in Lebanon or England. Both Austin's bodyguards are also joining them too, Jack and Max. Charlie mentioned that his wife and two kids wanted to spend Christmas in Utah so Marli invited them to stay for Christmas lunch too. Marli's family arrives from New York with a trunk full of gifts, big Christmas wreaths, and a container of cookies that Jonas and Austin devour. Between the 13 people and three animals, the Utah house is very busy and very loud. Yolandi insists that Charlie not cook but rather enjoy some time off with his family while she takes the lead in the kitchen for the week.

The first night after dinner as they are all going to bed when Austin stops suddenly and asks Marli where he is sleeping. Marli looks at him like he has two heads. "In your bed, Austin," she says. Austin raises his eyebrow, confused. "OK, then where are you sleeping?" he asks. Marli looks at him like he now has three heads. "In your bed too, Austin," she says. Austin shakes his head. "But your mother. She said, and I quote, boys and girls separate," he says. Marli rolls her eyes and clicks her tongue. "That's the rule in her house. This is not her house," Marli explains. Austin looks puzzled. "But that makes no sense," he says. Marli shrugs. "Well, I don't make the rules, Austin," she says and starts pushing Austin toward the bedroom. "Well, then who makes the rules?" he asks still confused. Marlie pushes Austin through the bedroom door. "My mother makes the rules," Marli says. Austin closes the door and crowds Marli against it. "Ahhh, now that makes sense," he says.

"It does?"

"Not at all," he laughs then kisses her. The kiss makes Marli feel drunk, the effect Austin has on her will never wear off, she is sure of it. She pushes him back and he spins them around so he is walking her backward to the bed, both giggling like teenagers into the kiss. Just as he is about to push her down onto the bed they hear a loud bark. "What the hell is this?" Austin moans. Marli spins around to find all three dogs sprawled across the bed.

"These fucking dogs, I swear!" he complains.

~

Christmas eve and Marli is so nervous that she can't stop her leg from bouncing. Austin has cottoned on that something is up with her and so his constant suspicious looks have her even more nervous. The days leading up to Christmas have gone by so fast and time for bed has been creeping up on them every night like a steam train....except for tonight. Dinner took forever to finish, the movie Austin put on said it was only 90 minutes but it felt like 5 hours. And now it's 11 pm and everyone still seems wide awake.
Marli wonders if Austin has tranquilizers in his medicine cabinet. "What is up with you?" Austin whispers in her ear. "Feels like I am experiencing an earthquake on this couch with you." Marli stops bouncing her leg up and down. "Nothing is wrong, I just get excited over Christmas," she says. Austin continues to look at her suspiciously but says nothing. When the end credits to the movie start to roll Marli jumps up and stifles a fake yawn. "Oh gosh! Must be bedtime. So late. Ok everyone to bed. Good night," Marli says pulling Austin out of the cave. No one complains but they do start getting ready to go off to their respective rooms. Thank goodness. "What is going on? Seriously, lil mama. You are acting strange," Austin says once they are in the room. "Nothing, really I am just excited about Christmas. NO! STOP!" Marli shouts. Austin freezes his movement of pulling back the bedsheets and looks at Marli. "Um....ok..." he says eyeing her suspiciously.
Marli looks around the room trying to come up with an excuse. "Were you just going to climb into bed without showering?" she asks scrunching her nose at him in disgust. Austin rolls his eyes at her. "Yes, it's been snowing, I have been chilling inside. Also, I showered this morning, so...." he says and goes back to climbing into the bed. "NO! PLEASE! That's gross Austin, go shower!" she shouts at him, stamping her foot. Austin stills his movements again and looks at Marli - confusion dancing around his face. "Are you serious? It's not like this is the first time I have done this," he says. Marli puts her hands on her hips and frowns. "I know, but with it being Christmas tomorrow you won't have time to shower in the morning. Can you just please go shower now?" she asks.