Satisfaction

At home, Austin helps Marli carry bags to the room. She had left her phone on charge and sees she has three missed calls from Lou. "You should call her," Austin says. Marli holds her phone to her chest. "You should not snoop over other people's shoulders," she shoots back playfully. Austin sticks out his tongue at her and then starts walking backwards to the door. "I am going to start dinner. Steak and salad good?" he asks. Marli nods. Wait what? Austin cooking? She must have heard wrong or something. Marli unpacks the clothing from today and makes a mental note that she has to go back to New York and pack up her apartment. Also, she needs to quit her job - she will call them in the morning. When she is done she chances a quick shower and goes looking for Austin. She can hear music and the smell of food coming from the kitchen so follows her ears and nose. She steps in and then is frozen in place at the sight before her. Austin is dancing around the kitchen. He is dressed in an apron that says, 'Kiss The Cook', while frying steak and making a salad. He looks up at her when he finally senses her presence. "Hello, lil mama. Please grab the garlic bread out of the oven. You can put it on this board here and then take a seat at the island, we will eat in the kitchen," he says turning back to fuss over his steaks. All three digs lying on the kitchen floor like this is a normal evening.

Marli does as Austin requests all while keeping a shocked eye on him. He finishes off the salad and plops it next to the garlic bread. When he is happy with the Steak he plates them and puts a plate in front of Marli and one in front of the other chair then turns down the music. "Serve your salad. What do you want to drink? I have water, tea, coffee, orange or apple juice," he says smiling at her. Marli is still looking at him like he has two heads. "Um...orange juice please," she manages to get out. Austin ignores her staring, pouring her and himself a glass each, and sits down. He pushes the salad bowl to her and gestures for her to serve. She does and then takes a few cautious bites. "Austin, this is amazing!" Marli says with a full mouth of steak, salad, and a little garlic bread. "Can you not talk with your mouth full of food, please? And thank you, June has been teaching me," Austin says proudly. Marli swallows her food and then fills her mouth with food again.

"What? This? You don't like when I do this?"

"You're a child." 

"Thank you."

"That was not a compliment, lil mama." 

Marli chuckles into another bit of steak. It really is good. "Who is June?" she asks. Austin rolls his eyes at her. "My chef," he says like she should know. Marli swallows her mouthful. "What happened to Charlie?" she asks. Austin frowns at her and then it looks like he registers something. "I forget sometimes that you have been away for so long. Charlie stopped working for me when I was in rehab. He had always wanted to open his own restaurant in LA and with me away it was there a perfect opportunity for him to take the leap. It's amazing. We should go sometime. June is my new chef. She's cool," he explains. So much has changed and Marli feels a little sad that she was not around for the changes. She would give anything to have had the chance to be part of Austin's life in the last two years. But the way Austin smiles at her now with his eyes so bright and his skin glowing - she knows she would have sold her soul to get him to this space and so if that meant giving up a little time with him, she is ok with that. After they finish their dinner, Austin leads her to the music room. He stops them in the hall outside the music room door.

"Now close your eyes, don't open them till I say ok."

Marli nods and closes her eyes. She hears Austin open the door and then he leads her a few steps into the music room. She hears some shuffling and then Austin tells her to open her eyes. There are poorly hung Christmas lights draped around the room and some are wrapped around the odd musical instrument too. She ignores the box marked 'Christmas shit' that's not so well hidden behind a row of guitars.  Rose petals that look a bit crushed from being stood on are strewn around the floor along with some green leaves. Austin is standing in front of her with the grand piano behind him.  He has his white Stetson on and is holding a piece of paper. Marli goes to say something, but Austin holds up his finger to stop her. "Hush. I am being real romantic here, this is a declaration. I am going to ask you to be my girlfriend," he says. Marli giggles a little and gestures for Austin to continue.