9| Lose

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Lose

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 9: Lose (Vanessa's POV)

"Van." I looked up at Jade, realizing more than half of the team was already gone. "Everyone already left for lunch. Aren't you coming?" 

I glanced at my computer, then the other side of the room. Everyone from there was gone too. Except for Aaron. Because Aaron and I agreed to skip today's lunch and talk because we sure have a lot to talk about. 

"Um, no actually, I can't make it. I've got some more work to do." 

"Really?" She glanced at my computer screen. "Most of it looks finished though." 

I shook my head, forcing a small smile. "Not yet." 

She shrugged and grabbed her purse. "Do you want me to bring anything for you?" 

"No thanks, I'm good. Bye," I waved as she headed out. I glanced at Aaron who was still glaring at me and has been since Davidson called us into his office this morning. I headed out, making sure our floor was empty, and then turned to face him. "Come with me," I huffed. 

"I'm not going anywhere with you without a warning, Vanessa," he argued, "sit back down. There's no one here." 

"I don't want to talk where someone can hear us. Davidson will kill us if someone finds out." 

He rolled his eyes and stood up, walking over and stopping right in front of me. "Lead the way then." 

I led us to the janitor's closet and pulled it open, gesturing for him to go first. 

"You think I'm falling for that again?" 

I clicked my tongue and pushed him inside, following him in and pulling the door shut before pulling on the chain that illuminated the room with a single light bulb. He stared at me blankly. "I'm sorry," I breathed out, leaning against the door. "I'm really sorry." 

"You better be. You're the reason we're in this mess, Vanessa." 

"I understand that. I didn't remember there were cameras in the office and I never thought Davidson would see what happened, okay?" 

"Why did you have to do it?" 

"I already apologized for that, Aaron." 

"Your apology doesn't change anything. Our salaries, potentially our jobs, and our reputations are most certainly still on the line." 

I folded my arms across my chest. "Dating you isn't exactly a boost to my ego either but I'm not whining like you." 

He rolled his eyes, scoffing, "That's real rich of you." 

"Lunch only lasts an hour and while it may be inevitable, I don't want to spend the rest of our time arguing." 

"What would you rather do? Discuss how to be the perfect fake couple?"