10| Act

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Act

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 10: Act (Aaron's POV)

We were both here yet again, sitting in front of Davidson, signing our freedom away. "I'm very glad you both understood how important this is and agreed. What do you two plan to do next?" 

Nothing. Because we have absolutely no idea. 

"Why don't you leave that to us, sir?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. 

He shrugged and leaned back in his chair. "Fair enough, I trust you both. Go ahead." 

Vanessa and I let ourselves out of his office, slowly making our way back to the main office room. "I'll leave first," I mumbled. 

"Fine. I'll come down five minutes later." 

This mess was huge and there is no way it's going to fix itself. We've already signed our souls away, now we have to follow through. I thought about it the whole day, I thought I'd be able to come up with a better idea and we could sell that to Davidson instead. But nope. Both Vanessa and I were blank in the case of new ideas. When we needed our intelligence the most, it dumped us. 

I blame it on Vanessa because when I could have been thinking of better ideas, I could only imagine having to do this with her. Take her as my date to an office or author launch party, spend time with her. Alone. 

I grabbed my stuff as Vanessa sat in her seat. 

"You're leaving?" Thomas asked as I turned my computer off. 

"I don't need to stay back so why would I? Everybody else is already gone, I take it you're staying." 

"Yeah. I have some work left to do, I'll be done in another thirty minutes or so. Jade's still here too though, she went to get coffee." 

I nodded once. "See you tomorrow." I glanced at Vanessa who went right back to work as if nothing had happened. I stepped into the elevator and as the doors closed, I leaned against the wall, tilting my head back, and closed my eyes. "What the hell did you get me into, Vanessa?" I got into my car and waited for her to get downstairs. 

We need to get our plan straight and to do that, we planned to go to a café that's near our apartment buildings rather than the one near the office. A little more than five minutes later, there was a knock on the passenger window. I unlocked the car and she pulled the door open, climbing in and slamming it shut with more force than necessary. 

"Go ahead and break it, will you?" I started the car and drove out of the office parking lot before she could reply. We drove in silence until we reached our neighborhood when I asked, "Which café do you want to go to?" 

"Late Latte Coffee Bar," she answered. 

I spotted the neon sign immediately. The sign of the café was in neon blue and pink, the colors alternating by word, and the little coffee cup at the end was broken, flashing both colors repeatedly. I've always seen this café but never stopped in the mornings because I don't have the time to. The walls are painted black and polished, but the inside is mostly made up of warm browns and burnt oranges.