13| Dark

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Dark

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 13: Dark (Vanessa's POV)

We spent some of the dinner talking and revealing things about each other and we spent the other half arguing and making jokes about each other.

This is how it's always been between us, that's why I think it's impossible to convince anybody otherwise.

"Does anyone from the office live near you?" he asked, approaching my building.

"You," I said.

At the same time, he said, "Except for me."

I sighed and thought for a moment. "I think Madison does. Her apartment building is two buildings before mine."

"Does she have a dog?"

I blinked in confusion. "I don't know? Maybe."

"I'm asking because she could be out walking her dog. Or out with friends. Maybe we should take a walk around your neighborhood. To... you know..."

"Make it look like we enjoy each other's company?"

"Yes, that," he huffed, parking the car and turning it off.

"I say no," I replied, taking my seatbelt off and facing him. "If she's out with her dog or with friends, chances are, she won't notice us in the busy area." I glanced pointedly out the window.

People were passing by, coming into the building, going out of the building... it was a pretty street since a lot of office buildings were no less than five minutes away, so a lot of office workers like us live in this area.

He shrugged softly and then leaned back. "Fair enough. See you at work then."

I got out of the car, "Bye, Sinclair." He didn't reply and I made my way inside and up to my floor, then my apartment. I set my keys aside and walked to my room, kicking my heels off immediately. I emptied my purse and hung it in the closet with the others I have and then grabbed my pajamas. I changed and got ready for bed and lay down with a sigh.

I lay awake for a while, just thinking about things and due dates at work when my phone rang. I grabbed it from my nightstand, propping myself up on my elbows and then answering when I read 'Dad' flashing across the screen. "Hey, Dad," I said.

"Hey, honey. How've you been?"

"Good, you?"

It's been a while since I spoke to my dad but I speak with my mom pretty often. Dad is often busy with work. My parents live in Florida. Well, they do now. My parents met here in New York during their college years and they got married and had me in New York as well. It was only when I started college that they decided to move to Florida. They didn't like the chaotic hustle that this city has or the expensive costs for day-to-day things.

My dad was born and raised in New York itself but my mom is from Colombia. She only moved to the States for college where she met my dad and they've been together ever since. My mom is a housewife but my dad is a full-time surgeon at one of the busiest hospitals in their area, which is why he hardly has the time to talk to me.