[27]

TWENTY-SEVEN:

27: ~Darnell's Pov~

Obviously Dad wouldn't let us follow the ambulance.

I locked eyes with Marina who was standing with two people who had familiar faces from across the street– no, nope, I wasn't going to deal with this, not right now.

Danica fled right back into the house in a fit of tears, while I just shook my head and followed behind her. I closed my room door and sighed heavily as my body stood against it for moral support, our lives can't keep going on like this. This had to stop at some point.

Please be okay, Mom! I thought as my hands balled into fists. The casual thought of breaking the old man's nose was the most appealing thing ever.

Involuntarily, I plopped down into my bed because my legs felt like jelly and couldn't hold my body up any longer, I'd probably skip school tomorrow–

And get scolded by Danica... My subconscious came alive and I chuckled at the thought.

We wouldn't want that now, would we?

Wow, look where life has lead me... Crazy mind conversations. I shoved out my pestering subconscious and stared at the ceiling hoping to zone out when someone knocked on my door.

"Go away, Anika." I breathe out, not even looking away from the ceiling.

But the door clicked open anyway and my head shot up from the bed covers in that same instant, ready to unleash rage until I saw whom it was and my expression uncontrollably softened. Eww I'm supposed to be a hard guy.

"In my defense, my name doesn't start with an 'A'." Marina piped, stepping into my room through the small crack, like she was scared if she opened the door a little wider, I'd run away.

"What's up with Danica's private concert?" She asked, strolling towards my desk chair and that's when I heard it.

Loud music was blaring in the hallway.

"Coping mechanism." I muttered and fell back on my bed.

"Pretty sure she's hurting her ears more..." She started and trailed off. "How bad was it?"

If I didn't know better, she was asking about my Mom's accident.

"Really bad."

"What actually happened back there?"

Are you blind, Marina?

"Right place, wrong time. The glass frame fell." I lied, making sure to hide anything that gave me away from my phiz.

I wasn't about to start divulging all my family issues to her and having her ask me a bunch more disturbing questions wasn't part of my needs. Marina opened her mouth to say something more but stopped herself.

"I should go..."

I didn't respond.

Then I heard shuffling and the click sound of my door coming open. My head came up then.