[62]

CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO:

62: ~Marina's Pov~

Quite a lot had gone down in the last three weeks. Seeing Bronny and not getting a chance to hug him due to the fire at the regionals, the regionals being cancelled, Curtis stuck in the intensive care unit- that fight really explained how deep the issues between him and Darnell were- and finding out who my stalker was. I sighed heavily as my shoulders sagged.

All along it had just been one teeny anxious fourteen year old messing around but everything she said and did kept taunting me because for one there was some truth to it.

I had no talent. I only existed for high grades. I couldn't sing, I couldn't draw, I couldn't paint, couldn't craft either, couldn't act, nothing, couldn't do nothing extraordinary. On another hand, it would take a good actor to 'fake' perfection but I knew better. Reality had slapped me hard on the face.

And a priss? Well that hurt too because in a way I was a priss. A polite one too.

Looking at the long text on my screen as I stroked Topaz's ears, my emotions knotted within me. It was terrible that messages sent to the forum couldn't be deleted unless the person who programmed the site rewrote the code and last I heard I think the guy quit coding-

tripletrouble: ... she's just a robot who only exists for high grades because what kind of doofus can't pass their driver's test?...

Biting my lower lip, I turned off my phone's screen. A surge of determination suddenly coursing through my veins. I pushed off my bed covers, leaving Topaz behind. Grabbing my car's key fob beside my baby blue bedside lamp, I headed out. Pausing when I reached my door due to the realization that I needed something to feed my adrenaline and keep me pumped. I grabbed my brandnew peach colored apple noise cancelling headphone and rushed downstairs.

Downing a glass of milk I poured myself from the refrigerator, I headed outside. The warm weather soothed my nerves and seemed to make my determination burn hot.

Thankfully no one was home to give me a pep talk, Jakob went out with Kiara after dropping me off at home while Mom and Dad were at work. I pulled up the garage gate, taking in the smell of my brand-new car as my hand ran over the hood and the functional head-scoops. The horse logo glistened as a ray of sunshine hit it making it appear golden. I jumped into my ride and sighed in content as I wiggled on the show-stopper red seat. The feel of the car made me ecstatic. I was bubbling so much inside that I thought my skin would tear open.

Using the key fob, I started the car, tucked myself behind the seatbelt safely and connected my headphones to my phone, hitting play on; Dying on the inside by Nessa Barrett. Putting the song on repeat, I raised the volume to the highest and curled my fingers around the steering wheel.

I set the car to sport mode.

Working the automatic transmission gear to speed five and brakes to: drive, I used the home link button on the back of the vanity mirror to close our garage. I stepped on the accelerator gently at first then harder and harder as the song tempo blaring in my ears increased.

It soothed me.

Palm springs had lonely roads especially on the weekdays, and it was to my advantage. The towering palm trees that lined this streets was a pleasant scenery. I was gradually driving out of town.

The speed of the car was slowly touching the skies, I drew in a shaky breath as my sweaty hands held unto the steering wheel in a death grip, my heart pounding in my chest as a sudden brisk gust of wind caressed my face. If I died today, I'd die with a conviction that I died conquering my fear.