[33]

First update of the year! What's up 2022??

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE:

33: ~Marina's Pov~

"Thank you." I muttered as Jason handed me a cup of hot chocolate milk.

He sat down beside me on his bed. The only light in his room being the standing lamp beside his bed. His parents were home and we didn't want to draw too much attention to ourselves, in a moment like this when we needed all the privacy we could get.

The silence was disturbingly palpable.

I sipped my chocolate milk for some courage before speaking, my voice not more than a whisper.

"I was going to tell you I swear."

Jason sighed and raked a hand through his hair, "Are we really doing this again? How about we sing instead?"

I smiled at that.

If y'all didn't know, Jason plays the guitar and it's been quite a while since I heard him play anything, mostly because this new school year has been so busy and we have been separated and right now our relationship was being threatened.

"Won't Tiffany mind?"

"I doubt, she's probably watching Botched in her bedroom, so no, she won't be able to hear us."

He crossed the room to take his acoustic guitar from it's stand against the wall and sat beside me again. He toyed with the cords carelessly and I was lost in a world of classical notes under seconds. He was humming something but I had no idea what it was.

"I want you... why's that so hard to believe?" He sang, but it felt more like a question for me.

So I answered, making sure I didn't go off key and followed the tempo, "'Cause you're my best friend."

I am not the best singer but I think your girl can hit a few high notes.

He closed his eyes. "Right, easy to take for granted..." He sang along and trailed.

He played a few more chords then chucked the guitar behind us.

"I didn't mean it that way."

"You didn't have too."

I got defensive, "If you're really into me like you claim you are then why are you dating Daneley?"

"It's complicated."

"You're the one making it complicated, I have always been okay with you messing around with so many girls but just this once I think I might like someone and you can't even support me?" I didn't hide the hurt in my voice and eyes.

"That's not how it is."

"Then explain how it is, Jace!" My voice quietly added volume.

"You're too good for me, Marina! That's why I never said anything, you deserve someone better, and maybe that someone better is Darnell, and it hurts my proud selfish heart, I was okay having you as my best friend as long as you're single but with McCoy around, it changes everything, I don't know if I can stand seeing you with another guy, I know I'm not perfect but it is already hurting me."

"You're insane." I hissed out and stood up to escape this dilemma but Jason caught my wrist and stood up too.

He placed his hands firmly on my shoulders, "Marie, understand..."

The look in his eyes was irresistible, if I stared a little longer, I might loose myself.

"I can't– I kissed Darnell."