[37]

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN:

37: ~Marina's Pov~

The sound of a ball bouncing on asphalt and a vibrating rim woke me up.

It was late at night.

Why would Darnell be at the court?

I took my phone from the night stand to check the time and sure enough it was 10:52pm. Rubbing my eyes, I stood up and went to my window. Only– I didn't see Darnell when I looked outside... It was Jakob.

In my surprise, I raised the lid up and called out to the sweaty boy who was strangely playing basketball in the dead of night. I didn't know his basketball obsession had switched levels.

"Did the rim offend you?"

He paused and glanced up, "Oh hey, MJ!"

"You're disturbing my sleep." I told him.

He kept on playing aggressively, "Come on down and join me, it's been a while since I watched you sulked after I beat you at a game."

"Are you insane? It's eleven o'clock in the night!" I whisper yelled laying emphasis on the last phrase.

"You can be such a bore, goodnight Marie." He said and muttered something else inaudibly.

"What was that?"

"Good Mary help my soul?" He chuckled and went back to his aggressive basketball game.

I groaned and dropped my window lid. Who wants him? I'd give him to you free and I might even add Jason if you bring milk and tacos along.

~ ~ ~

Lunch has to be the best part of school hours.

While going over to the table I have been sharing with Daneley and Bodie at lunch recently, I passed by my usual table and I couldn't ignore how sparse it was.

"Hey Jace! Ethan, Liam, Eugene!" I smiled at them. "Where's Jakob and Kiara?" I asked Jason.

We weren't really cool yet but you could say we were on a truce. But for you guys sake, I promise to forever be on good terms with Jason Kuyper.

"Jakob is at the court, said he'd spend lunch practicing, guess he really wants that medal this year... As for Kiara, I haven't seen her all week."

Reminder to ring Kiara's cell! Haven't seen her all week either. Either she's been ghosting us or she just has a lot of work to do.

I nodded, "Oh, thanks!"

"How about you? How have you been?" He asked, smiling at me.

"I've been good, doesn't help that my favorite people are now in the senior's block while I'm stuck as a junior, but I guess it isn't so bad after all."

"I see you've been spending more time with people your age." He chortled and nodded to my new table.

"It might surprise you that I even made a girly friend."

He laughed now, "You don't say! I'm happy for you MJ."

Jason still had his charm, I mean I have really been smiling from ear to ear since this conversation started and it's safe to say that I've still got my bestie crush on him. He's just too good not to love. But sadly, the universe had other plans for us both.

"Thanks Jason."

~ ~ ~

Jakob and I had barely pulled into our driveway when I received a text from Darnell.

Dannie: dinner at my place? 5:30, I'm cooking so don't expect anything too grand Butterfly.

I chuckled.

"It's McCoy isn't it?" Jakob asked with a mischievous smile playing on his lips.

"What's it to you?"

"Nothing!" He raised his hands in the air and backed out of the car.

~ ~ ~

5:30 came early and I was at the McCoy's home at 5:29pm. You know what they say, punctuality is the...

Darnell opened the door and I was greeted with the aroma of spiced dough.

"Something smells really good." I smiled.

He just laughed and led me in, I followed him to the kitchen and sat on a stool by the nook table while he returned to his cooking.

"You still like pancakes yeah?" Darnell asked as he flipped a pancake on the non-stick pan.

"Nahh, I'm into Mac and cheese now." I said sarcastically and we both laughed. "How are you the one cooking?"

"It's date night for the big guys, so I have the Kitchen, maybe if Danica would take her head out of musical notes for a day she might actually learn how to make coffee." Darnell said.

"I heard that!" Danica yelled from the hall, the same moment I heard footsteps getting closer.

I was turning red with laughter.

That's when I also heard the shutter sound of a camera. I cringed but I couldn't help the adorable smile on my face when I turned to face the kitchen doorway.

"Next time be a little more discreet." I told her.

"Oh hi! Marina! Sorry!" She cringed, "You know, it's just that you're in my house and you're like super popular and I couldn't help it."

I gave her a warm smile, "Come sit with me."

"Can I vlog it?"

"Okay that's enough! Leave! Now!" Darnell said basically not amused.

"Oh come on!"

"I'll call you once dinner is ready." He said with a tone of finality.

Dinner. I sniggered. Who ever has pancakes for dinner?

"And what are you laughing at?"

"Nothing!"

"I could give you something to think about though."

My brows furrowed, "What does that mean?"

"Whatever you want it too, butterfly. That reminds me, I didn't know you were the type to skip classes."

I sat up straight, "Excuse me?"

"Algebra, Monday morning, Jo. You weren't in class and we had this stupid impromptu test." Darnell said, his back to me as he flipped another pancake.

"No, that's not true, Mr George wasn't in school, his son is an eighth grader and he had a big game today so Mr George couldn't make it to class." I repeated what Cosma had told me.

Darnell laughed, "And who served you that cock and bull story? Mr George's son is a freshman at our school and a total dork, he doesn't play sports."

I gasped. What the freak???

"Hold on, how do you know this?"

"Because the boy has a crush on Danica, sends her these stupid science jokes love letters, really pathetic." Darnell chuckled.

So that means... Cosma lied to me.

"That means I failed the test?" I know I ask so many questions but I can't help it.

Darnell turned to face me now and waving the spatula in his hand, he said, "You were absent, so basically..."

Ladies and gentlemen, you're witnessing the end of an era, Marina Hunter just made an enemy.

Four words...

Cosma Blake is dOnE!

~ ~ ~
A/N: *plays dramatic music* so much for trusting a casual stranger, looks like Cosma has a swift tongue. Vote and share OtG! A lil update is that I'll be posting once a week now. See you in thirty-eight.
TheShadyButterfly🦋.