[56]

~currently playing: I was never there by the weeknd ft gesaffelstein.

CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX:

56: ~Marina's Pov~

How many toes does a chicken have again?

Sorry.

I just be having crazy ass thoughts when I can't see.

I mean literally, I was blindfolded.

"Are we there yet?" I asked. "I've got a cover story to write you know."

"You're never patient, little fizz." My Dad said behind my ear.

Apparently he had succeeded in coercing me to go someplace with him. Yes I know he screwed up but it wasn't my place to judge him, and it was pretty obvious my Mom still loved him, she just needed time. It's only sad that the past has to affect our present so much. I randomly remembered the day he had that accident and my Mom stayed overnight with him... You don't fake that type of love. I know she has forgiven him.

"Dad, I hate surprises, the wait gives me anxiety and my palm starts sweating and all I can think about is everything I've ever done wrong in my entire life like I mean–"

"It's here!" He suddenly exclaimed.

"What's here?!" I asked back.

He took his hands from hovering over my eyes. It took some seconds for my eyes to focus and my brain to register what I was seeing.

Medium aquamarine.

The logo of a horse.

My dream car.

A Ford Mustang Convertible.

I screamed.

Then I covered my mouth with my hands when I noticed people were staring in our direction. We were in an automobile park. Like a sea filled with fishes, the park was filled with cars of different sizes and colors.

And for the first time in my life I could say an automobile belonged to me.

I screamed again.

"I know you didn't pass your last driver's test but I still purchased the car anyways and I felt this was the right time to give it to you."

"Oh my gosh, Dad! Thank you so much."

"I'll have them bring it to the house later, in meantime I want us to go somewhere." His voice echoed in my ears like he was distant.

Reality suddenly dawned on my sixteen year old mind.

I still had a driving phobia.

As I stared at the windshield of my car, I could literally see the word; FEAR, written on it boldly, like it was daring me to jump in the driver's seat so it could take my life.

My heart jumped.

What if I die the first day I tried to drive the car?

My pulse quickened and began to touch the sky. My body was shaking. But it felt more like something was shaking me from outside.

"Marie! Marie! Breathe! Look at me!" My dad's voice kept sounding distant.

I suddenly fell out of my trance, like I was heaving back to life.

I just had a panic attack.

My dad's hands were perched on my shoulders. My eyes were clouded and I didn't know when I wrapped my flail arms around his neck.

"I'm scared, Dad."

"It's going to be okay, Marie, fear is normal, what isn't is staying afraid..."

I know I was as confused as they come but if I could conquer my swimming phobia, then I could pretty much conquer my driving phobia. Thinking about the ocean made me remember Darnell, the time we jumped off a cliff together. My heart hurt and my stomach churned at the memory.

So much for a happily ever after.

~ ~ ~

Dad had brought us to a golfing park. It was my first time in a golf park and I lavished the smell of the freshly mowed grass. It was a big field. It was afternoon on the weekend and the sun was pretty bright in the cloudless sky. I was wearing baggy jeans and a tank top, gladly enjoying the weather because it would become freezing in another few hours.

"So tell me, Marie, what are the updates?" Dad asked, looking at the white ball perched on a circle in the grass.

I chuckled, "I feel like you ask that all the time."

"Well things change everyday." He replied.

"I'm joining the Silver Lake Scoop."

"The student publication?" Dad asked, hitting the ball with a grunt.

I nodded with a big smile.

"Since when did you become a writer?" He quirked his brows at me, straightening to his full height.

"I thought you were like the campaigner for 'never be afraid to try something new', besides I'm young so I'm still discovering what my passions are."

"I'm not judging you, Marie. And I'm happy for you honestly... How's stuff with Darnell?" He asked, his lips pressed in a tight smile.

I scoffed, "How about we talk about why you brought me to a golfing arena, the air here is so sassy."

I looked around at all the rich folks playing golf and those who came with family to have a good time.

When was the last time the Hunters enjoyed some family time? Had to be the day of my last driver's test. Every other family time since then had been controversial and toxic.

"This is the place I met your mom."

"What?! How?!" I yelled in happy surprise recalling how work obsessed my Mom is. "When did she have time for this?"

He chortled, "She was really good at golf, not sure why she stopped but I still remember her white skirt, pink polo shirt and tennis cap. Obviously this place has long since changed but she always liked this spot."

"I'm shocked, does Jakob know this?"

Speaking of Jakob, he was keeping at his grind in preparation for the regionals. His basketball obsession was admirable. I will be like him one day... Maybe.

Dad shook his head, "I wanted to tell you guys everything but she didn't want you and Jakob to see me differently. Erin has sacrified the most for this family. I made a mistake, and I know I don't deserve a family like ours but here I am, a lucky man. Life gave me a second chance, even your Mom did too. We spoke the other day, I can't make any promises but she said she wasn't going to push through with the divorce anymore because of you and Jakob. On this ground, Marie... Would you forgive me?"

I bit my lip as I held back the tears brimming in my eyes. Guilt seemed to glory itself on my Dad.

The truth is, no one deserved to feel self condemned no matter what they did wrong as long as they felt sorry and were willing to turn a new leaf. Every one deserved a second chance.

"If Topaz can move around the house freely." I decided cash in on my once in a lifetime opportunity.

He looked at me funny.

"Yes, Dad, yes." I said, hugging him.

Liquid touched my neck.

My Dad was crying.

"Thank you, little fizz." He muttered into my hair.

I think Jakob was right when he said this year was going to be colorful. Our family was going to get back together, I could feel it.

~ ~ ~
A/N: sappy ass chapter but I'm here for it. Please vote for the ultimate family reconciliation. Thank you for reading. Little secret: there's only ten chapters left *runs away*
TheShadyButterfly🦋.