ten

chapter ten: nothing lasts forever

It was early August of that year, and it had been a good couple of months. It had almost been exactly a year since Number Five first made his appearance at the Commission headquarters, but much more importantly, it had almost been a year since Number Five had first been introduced to Anthony.

So much had seemed to have happened in those short eleven months between the boys, and it was crazy to think that it had already been so long. The time had seemed to just go by so fast. Time really does fly when you're around the one you love.

When Number Five had first agreed to join the Commission, it was a complete desperation move for him to get back to his family. He knew that he would never be there for long, so he had decided to give himself one simple rule: Don't get too close with anyone. It just made sense, because what's the point growing close with someone if you're just going to inevitably leave? It wouldn't be fair to the person he would be involved with, and it wouldn't be fair to him.

That didn't seem too hard at first, and after his first couple of days he was convinced that everyone there was either a pretentious asshole or a complete idiot that he would never want himself to be associated with, let alone be around.

But Number Five knew that the first moment he felt Anthony's hand twist in his, that his 'simple' rule was never going to be as 'simple' as he had first anticipated and prepared for.

Fuck, it was so insane how fast he had fallen for Anthony, and he didn't even realize it until it was much too late.

Five didn't even think it was possible to feel the way he did about one single person. It was such a foreign, but good, feeling. They had only first met in September, and by November he was so infatuated with the man. He had already been planning how he could get back to 2019, but the new plan was how he could get to 2019, but with Anthony.

Not only was this thing a big deal for Five, but of course it was also something huge for Anthony, who fallen even quicker than the other one had. Perhaps he fell too quickly, but he went from being almost completely alone, to constantly being around and supported by someone who he felt so deeply and emotionally connected to.

It happened so quickly, and Anthony was convinced that even after a mere few months, that he was already in love with him.

And he was right; he was very much in love with Five. It eventually did get to a point where he couldn't even deny it to himself anymore. He was just so utterly, pathetically and hopelessly in love with him.

It made him happy. So, so, so happy.

There was no denying the feelings, and it was so obvious to anyone he encountered that there was something different, in a good way, about the twenty-four year old.

Mentally, Five had helped him tremendously. By August, he had been self harm free for almost six months, and he had gained the healthy amount of weight that his body so desperately needed.

It was the feeling of being loved no matter what that made him feel as if he could really just be himself, and nothing felt better than that.

Although the two had never used the word 'love' with each other, he thought it was safe to assume that Five felt the same way about him, he just assumed it was obvious based on how they acted together.

But assuming never helped anyone.

Assuming only ever caused problems.

And this time was no different.

"You seem extremely happy today" Herb commented as he sat across the way from Anthony in the Commission break room, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"Mhm" Anthony hummed in agreement, taking a sip of his coffee. He still hated coffee, but it reminded him of Five "That's because I am happy"