thirteen

chapter thirteen: red lights

Anthony sighed to himself as he sat in the driver's seat of the late Reginald Hargreeves' car; one hand clutched at the steering wheel, the other resting against at door panel. Anthony tapped his fingers lightly against the plastic frame, anxiously waiting for Number Five to follow him outside.

His body was starting to hurt, and he blamed it on the unexpected age regression. Neither Anthony or Five had an explanation for it, because there was simply no plausible reason. It caused his body to ache, and it hurt to just to move. His eyes also hurt, and looking into the light just made it worse.

He felt weird, almost like he was having some sort of out-of-body experience, which was probably not a bad comparison, because he technically wasn't in his own body anymore.

The suit that he had worn at the Commission was now hanging uncomfortably off of his body. Five had offered to give him something, but Anthony refused and had said that he would, and I quote, 'rather deepthroat a cactus than wear one of those hideous uniforms'

Anthony glanced down at his watch, that also was nearly falling off of his thin wrist, before he ran a hand through his hair. Hey, at least his hair hadn't changed. That would've been devastating for everyone.

Suddenly, the door he had been resting on was yanked open forcefully, and Anthony let out a small yelp of shock

"This isn't happening, not a chance" Number Five said almost immediately as he stood outside, glaring at the boy.

Anthony regained his composure quickly "What? I told you that I would drive, and you agreed with me"

"Nope, that's not happening. Get out" Five ordered.

"Why?" Anthony asked.

"Because I told you to" Five replied.

"Why can't I drive? I'm a great driver" he argued.

Number Five scoffed "Don't lie to yourself, we both know that you couldn't drive even if your life depended on it" he teased.

"You don't know that" Anthony muttered, reaching down and unbuckling his seatbelt "You haven't seen me drive in months, I could've gotten better" he protested, but moved over to the passenger's seat nonetheless, allowing the other boy to take his place in the driver's seat.

Number Five took his place in the drivers seat, buckling his seatbelt "Last time I saw you drive you nearly ran over a squirrel and almost killed Mildred"

"Okay, but in my defense you are the one that attempted to teach me how to drive!" Anthony replied, crossing his arms.

"Mhm, key word; attempted" Five replied "You're just an uncoordinated idiot, not my fault"

"I am not uncoordinated!" Anthony defended.

"You couldn't even ride a bike" Five recalled.

Anthony glanced at him "Mhm, that's because I just choose to ride other things"

"No...that's just-shut up" Five told him in disgust.

He smiled to himself "You ran into that one"

"Shut up" Five only repeated.

They both sat in silence for the following couple of minutes, partly because they were both too tired to speak, but mainly because neither of them even knew what to say to each other. The only sound that filled the car was the humming from the radio, and the cars that passed them by on the streets.

"You just passed a red light" Anthony commented.

"What? No I didn't" Five denied.

"Uh, yeah you did! I saw it" he replied.