forty

chapter forty: team zero

"You're better than I thought" Lila commented as she lay on the ground of the abandoned warehouse.

Five held his foot on her neck, causing her to wheeze slightly "And you are entirely average" he replied before turning slightly "You can come out now"

The Handler walked out from one of the corners, striding forward wearing a pair of red heels and with a cigarette hanging from her lips "Well done, you figured it out" she got closer to them.

"Well it wasn't very hard" Number Five commented, still staring down at Lila "She fights like every one of you Commission drones, you're all the same"

"No matter, here we are together again" the Handler took the cigarette out of her mouth "I've gotta ask, did you miss me you little shit?"

Number Five glared at her, his foot pressing harder on the woman's neck just in pure spite. Lila groaned from under him, both of her hands trying to push him off as she struggled slightly to breathe.

"You've got a good nose" the Handler commented.

"You know planting her in a psych ward and then taking advantage of my simpleton brother, that was smart" Five praised, looking over at her.

"Well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" the woman replied, taking a drag of her cigarette.

Five did a double take "She's your-"

"Daughter" she smiled "And she's my only one so I'd appreciate it if you didn't crush her windpipe"

The boy hesitated, before he did loosen his foot and allowed Lila to push it off of herself and stand back up. She sent daggers towards him "I am so going to enjoy killing you and your boyfriend someday" she threatened.

"Lila darling would you give us a minute please?" the Handler asked, glancing at her daughter.

Five's smirk faltered slightly at the slight mention of Anthony, but he quickly regained composure "Yes the grown-ups need to talk"

The woman rolled her eyes before turning away, she knocked a metal pan dramatically as she left to the other side of the room.

"What is it you want?" Five asked quickly.

"Do you like jazz, Five?" the Handler asked.

"I'd rather lick a cheese grater" he replied.

"Awe" she cooed as she turned away "Jazz is like a beautiful woman; complex, emotional, hard to please. She doesn't just give it to you, she really makes you work for it"

Five raised an eyebrow "I wouldn't know anything about that" he replied "But I'm really hoping that you're going somewhere with this"

"Under my leadership, the Commission would sound more like...jazz!" the Handler mimicked a jazz rhythm and began moving slightly to it.

"And what about the board of directors?" Five moved closer to her slightly.

She smiled "Well that's where you come in" she booped him on the nose.

"Nope" he shook his head "No it isn't"

Five didn't like how close she was getting to him or they would she kept touching him at random times during the conversation. It brought back too many memories, and it really made him wish that he had brought Anthony with him, just so that he could hold his hand or even feel his arm around him.

"In exchange for the assassination of the board, I'm willing to get you and your family out of this timeline and back to 2019 where you belong" she offered.