Chapter 22: The New beginning

(Takes place 1 year after 'Lies')

Riley's POV

"You didn't have to do that" I blushed.

The big, bold brunette named Johnny looked up at me, trying to sink his eyes into mine.

"Yeah I did" he laughed, "it's our 2 month anniversary. No way was I not going to get you anything."

I brushed a piece of hair out of my face and gave him a small grin. "That's really sweet, but I feel terrible now. I didn't get you anything"

"You didn't have to. Don't even worry about it, Riley"

Don't even worry about it, Riley

The words repeated my head.

An image of James appeared in my head. I could hear him saying those words he always said to me. I felt the flashbacks starting to appear. All the nightmares I had since falling in he hole that day...

Don't even worry about it.

"Riley?" I jumped back up from my gaze at the floor.

"Yeah? Oh...sorry. I was just distracted"

He smiled. "No worries, wanna grab some food?"

"Yeah, sure" I smiled while he looked at me.

He wrapped his strong, built arm around my shoulders, and we started to walk.

He is my new beginning.

____

James' POV

"James? Do you have the answer?"

.....

"James?"

I shook my thoughts out of my head. "Uh...sorry. I don't know the answer"

The tutor rolled her eyes while looking away.

"It's been a month since you started tutoring, and I've barely seen any progress" she sighed.

"I know...I've just been-"

I ran a list of excuses in my head, trying to choose which one to use.

"I've just been focused on dance. There's a big competition coming up so..."

"Well listen, if you can't stop worrying about dance, you should just quit tutoring. You have time to do it some other time in the next few months, so please don't waste my time if your not into it"

She grabbed her books and signed the slip saying we completed our 11th tutor session. I watched her walk out the library doors, as I fidgeted with my pencil.

I don't know why. I don't know why I can't move on. It's been a year....I haven't talked to Riley since weeks ago, and that was when she asked me to move my backpack out of her way when she walked to her desk in chemistry class. We completely moved on from each other.

But every time I went to a tutor session...I thought of her. How she playfully hit my shoulder every time I got a question wrong in class. How she constantly tried to convince me to get a tutor so I could get good grades and have a good life ahead of me. She pushed me everyday because she cared.

It's different now. She doesn't care anymore. She has a boyfriend, she constantly has new dance competitions. She has a new life.

I'm trying to have a new beginning too. But I just don't know how. I can't move on, no matter how much I want to.