Chapter - 35

"Why, Mayra? What wrong did I do to deserve that?" He questioned, emphasizing on 'that' as I only stare at him with my parted lips.

What would I say to him? I had no idea what he was going on about. My instincts told me he was paced back ten years ago but I couldn't help but frown in perplexity.

He thinks he was wronged? On what basis? Wasn't it me who was humiliated in front of the whole school?

"You captured my heart only to crumble it under your foot for what? Popularity? Privileges? Money? Status? Power?" He gaze into my eyes, tears evident yet held back from falling without permission of its owner. He wasn't glaring at me as he always does. His eyes were begging me for answers. Answers.... I myself have no idea about.

Instead of answering him, which I don't want to, I tried touching him gently. To my surprise, he flinched and I took my hand back in shock. Vivaan wasn't a man to flinch. Atleast not to my touch. Not that easily...

It reminded me of the day in the corridor when he went full mad at me and I tried to ask him what he actually meant. He reacted the same way. He didn't let me touch him. He swatted me away like I was some annoying fly irritating him to no end. It hurt. It still does.

"You know I never wanted all those things, Vivaan. Don't feign like you don't know me at all." I said, getting anguished by the accusations he is throwing at my way.

He laughed. And I never thought one could laugh this bitterly. "Do I Mayra? Do I really know you anymore? Because I don't think so. The Mayra I ever knew was not selfish, backstabbing or a power-hungry girl. She would not stoop so low to gain popularity. She would never play with someone's feelings for fun."

His words sting me hard, bringing past memories to refresh back as new as ever. I felt myself standing in the school— surrounded by a huge crowd of student's, my soul haunted by their levity and mirth expressions. While the only person I thought I could give my heart away was breaking the same heart with each and every single word he spoke.

My shattered heart was far too broken to be mended.

"I guess I was wrong after all. You indeed were selfish and just how exactly I didn't imagine you to ever be." He held my eyes in capture through his gaze as I tightened my fists, anger building inside me.

He stood up abruptly, wiping those tears strained cheeks with the back of his hand. He no longer seemed as broken as he was before but I knew better. He just wanted to show me that he wasn't going to back out now. He demands an explanation from me.

"You pretended to be someone you were not." He took steps towards me as I took a few backwards. "Did it satisfy you enough to catch the school's golden boy in your net and make him fall for you?"

I opened my mouth to reply but closed it back. He was making me speechless again and again. Where did he even get these notions from?

I wasn't at a loss for words, if I want I could shut him up right now. Just like last time at the terrace, but if I remember clearly, after a few minutes I somehow ended up on a couch beneath him. I seriously don't want to repeat that.

The only reason I avoid this topic is because it has many unpleasant memories connected to it. And I know if I open the unhealed wounds they will hurt more than I could ever imagine.

He makes me sound as if everything that happened was my fault. For my part, I have no clue why it even happened? I remember what he said that day. He said that I was pretending to like him. For him, my feelings compared to nothing but a pretence.

"For first and the last time, Vivaan. I never pretended in front of you." I said, coldly trying to mask my emotions. "And I had no interest in your golden boy image. I would care less if you were a-"