Chapter - 5

"Wakey! Wakey!" Someone chirped besides me.

No! please no!

Eyes still closed, I shifted from my position and turned my back towards that person. I don't want to wake up.

But unfortunately my daughter was not someone to admit defeat easily.

Suddenly, unlimited rays of sunlight crashed onto my face. Piercing through my skin. I immediately ran my hand around the bed to get a hold of my blanket but it was not there. In fact the whole bed was empty. Except my pillow.

Well, it was expected. She is too smart for her own good.

I took that pillow and buried my face into it, in an attempt to Shield it from those rays. As I had nothing else that I can use as a shield...

"Shrishti please close the curtains....." I murmured, still in half sleep.

"No mamma, it's already 7am and I have been waiting for you to get up from the past half an hour." She said with a tone of authority. Sometimes I feel like she is my mother not the other way around.

"Ugh! Why are you an early bird!" I groaned

This girl never lets me sleep. Not when she was a baby and not even now.

I came a little late yesterday. As I attended two surgeries without any break. And today I am so tired that I have no energy left. I feel like sleeping all day and night.

And I could, If I am being allowed. That unfortunately, I am not. As the little angel besides won't let me. I don't know what's with her, she knows I am tired and yet she is still hell bent on waking me up.

"I don't know, You tell me." I heard her saying. "Did I get that from my dad?"

My eyes shot open and I am suddenly stark awake.

My breathing stopped completely as if someone just blocked my trachea. I couldn't utter a word nor I could breathe.

What will I tell her? That I have no idea who her father is, what he looks like. That I don't even know who her biological mother is, though I did saw her once when I went to meet her for the last time. That was six years ago.......

Flashback

I entered the morgue, it is the place where the deceased bodies are left for their identification or until they are buried or cremated.

Nausea filled me as I closed my eyes and tried to even my breathing. My breathing rate was unevenly high as I approached the said dead bed.

The same bed where that girl was placed, who gave me a chance to have a new family. She was lying lifelessly there. Her eyes were closed. She was in a deep slumber and I know, would never wake up again. One thing I could say was that.....

She was beautiful. Just like her daughter.

By her features one could easily guess that she was an Asian. Like from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan or maybe India?

There was an odd familiarity in her features. That I couldn't quite grasp. It was as if...as if.....I just...I don't know. Something about her was making me feel slightly conscious.

I gulp and took steps forward.

It actually doesn't matter. I have made my decision. And nothing could make me Back off now.

"Hey," I called out softly.

"I hope you are listening to me.......I...I actually have something very important to tell you......" I was feeling so nervous that I almost forgot what I had to say.