42: Waiting

Waiting is bad.

Like really bad!

Even more so when knowing your lover might not return.

And to say Kyōjurō was worried as Hell, would be an understatement.

Terrible and troublesome thoughts of (Name) surviving for seven nights on top of Fujikasane Mountain, without any aid from the outside world, plagued his mind─that he couldn't even be still.

"Again...you're going to make a hole in the ground with your frantic pacing." Says Uzui, who had been watching his friend pace around for two hours straight.

The Flame Hashira took a deep breath before exhaling it slowly. Lately, he's been restless and it wasn't like him to be such a worry wart.

"I know." Was all he said, before taking a seat on the cold ground─both his legs crossed and face buried in his hands.

There was movement beside him as Uzui's tall figure sat beside him. The Sound Hashira gently gave his comrade a pack on the back in hopes to soothe him.

"You shouldn't have to worry so much. It's bad for your health."

"This is my beloved we're talking about. So of course I'm going to worry." Kyōjurō says.

"She's out there, all alone, surrounded by demons, and with no one to aid her!"

"Well, she is the only candidate after all. Demon Slayers usually train for at least one year before going into Final Selection and (Name)-chan only trained for several weeks. That's faster than how Mitsuri-chan started her Final Selection exam without training for at least one year, which was six months!" Uzui explained.

"I've gotta admit, she's a very strong woman. That winter curse and naginatajutsu skills of hers is no joke! Gyomei still can't feel the left side of his face after getting hit by her attack." He added before standing up.

"Also, my right ass cheek is still sore from her smacking it with her bō-staff." Uzui says.

His comical remark made Kyōjurō laugh fulhearty which seemed to do the trick in lightening up his mood a bit.

"Hahaha, is that so?"

"Yea, (Name)-chan is strong and you really should start having faith in her. She's proven herself time and time again that she's determined and able to fight alongside the Big Boys...and Girls of the Demon Slayer Corps. A mountain full of demons is nothing compared to the amount of flamboyance that girl has." Uzui says.

Kyōjurō nods, "Thank you, my friend. I'm feeling much better now! I guess there's nothing to be worried about."

Uzui's right, he shouldn't have to worry so much. However, he just prayed that she was alright and safe. The thought of losing her will forever haunt his thoughts.

He'd already lost one woman in his life─that being his mother, and he sure as hell wasn't ready to lose another!

But all he can do at this moment is wait.

Wait for his Snow Flower to return to him as his golden and red eyes glanced towards Fujikasane Mountain.

From a distance, it seemingly mocked him, its tall woodland steep, sloping sides and peak─intimidating and beautiful at the same time. Infested with the vile creatures that rejected their humanity and the blooming Wisteria trees of majestic beauty.

Only for seven nights it'll have his beloved and Kyōjurō was willing to wait all day and night if he have to just to have her in his arm again.

But if she fail to show by the seventh, it would only mean one thing and he'll kill every demon on the mountain, then burn it to kingdom come!

"Kyōjurō look?!" Uzui suddenly exclaims, startling the flame Hashira from his thoughts.

Kyōjurō glanced up to see his friend pointing up towards the sky and looked to see...

Snow.

It was snowing! Yet there neither was a cloud in the sky nor was it bone chilling cold outside.

Awed, Kyōjurō held out his hand, feeling specks of snowflakes land in his palm.

Was this (Name)'s doing? It had to be.

Again, worry begun flooding his mind!

Was this a sign of distress?!

Was she in danger?

Was she struggling with a demon?

Was she hurt?

God, he didn't know as he quickly stood─about to charge towards the tori gate entrance but was immediately stopped by Uzui.

"You know you can't go in there, Kyō. It's against the rules." He tells him, a serious expression on his face.

'To hell with the rules!' Is what he wanted to say, but he held his tongue as Kyōjurō could only grit his teeth and clench his fists in frustration.

He felt hopeless.

This was a mistake! He shouldn't have allowed her to convince him into becoming a Demon Slayer... He should've stopped her, instead of encouraging her to pursue this path.

And now, only God knows what has happened to her and he couldn't do anything to save her.

"What the hell is that?" He heard Uzui mumbled.

Following his friend's gaze, Kyōjurō saw odd looking snowflakes which appeared bigger than the average snowflake.

"Are these...flowers?" Uzui questions, holding out his hand as one landed.

Kyōjurō does the same, taking one into his palm and examines it closely.

It was small and shaped exactly like a camellia (Tsubaki).

Here in Japan, camellias are called "roses of winter" and symbolizes perfect love and hope.

Kyōjurō briefly remembers just how much his mother loved tsubaki and her telling him that in Hanakotoba (Jappanese language of flowers), Tsubaki had different meanings.

The white camellia = waiting, the yellow camellia = longing, and the red camellia = love.

This is a good sign as Kyōjurō felt relief wash over him.

His beloved (Name)-chan was still alive and she was letting him know! Only she could conjure up such a display of beauty and bewilderment as a smile as bright as the sun crossed his lips, before Kyōjurō burst into fit of laughter.

He was happy.

Happy to know that you were waiting, longing, and loving him just as much as he is for you.

With his mind now at ease, all he have to do now is..

Wait.