Chapter 18

March 21, 2011 (5:35 pm)

Yeah, so... um. Hi?

I don't really know what to write. Isn't this a sad point in the story. All times for reunions and such. This is a really sad chapter... just saying. I don't know how you're going to handle it, so just don't break anything whether your sad, angry, or over-excited.

Let's read now, shall we?

___________________

Apparently I must’ve dozed off. I awoke at sunrise that morning to a distant, mournful howl. At first I thought it was the girls, but it really didn’t make any sense. If it was the girls, they would howl together. No one would alone and if they followed my orders they wouldn’t even do it in the first place.

My second thought was that it was Nick. My heart lurched in my chest when I thought about him. His dark black hair and beautiful, ivy green eyes. No. I needed to stop thinking about him. How I’ve know him longer then I thought. How he invaded my dreams and… stole my heart.

It wasn’t though. It couldn’t be him. He left two days ago and wouldn’t come back. I broke his heart and I can’t imagine how he could ever forgive me. Time and time again, I rejected him. I couldn’t forgive myself for that.

I couldn’t answer the call either. My father would think that I’m signaling someone. He would send out hunting parties and then there would be a real battle and my girls would be discovered.

I guess I shouldn’t think of them as “my girls” anymore. I’m not their leader now. Heather is and I trust her one hundred percent. She’ll be a good leader. She has alpha blood in her.

Again, I heard the door open. A big, mean looking guard came to the front of the cell. He peered into the corner I was laying in. “You’ve got a visitor, Bitch,” he snarled. I growled at him and he just snorted. Doesn’t really matter anyway. I’ve been called worse things.

Two people walked in. A man and a woman. Arthur and Melissa Steward. They looked to be in their late forties. I stood up and shifted coming into a better light. When they looked towards me, I looked away in shame.  These were Alex’s parents.

There was a long silence. I could feel their eyes on me and no one said anything. I fought the urge to crawl into fetal position and bawl.

Finally, I got up the courage to speak, even if it was so quiet that they could barely hear. “I’m sorry,” I whispered.

“It’s disrespectful not to look at the person you are talking to,” his father said. “Even more if you killed their son.” I closed my eyes and picked my head up, then looked at them.

His mother looked at me softly. “Why’d you do it, Clarity?” she asked. “I thought you two were friends.”

Barely. It was more like acquaintances. “I didn’t want to,” I said. “I cared about him, but he was going to kill me. Do you know what my father did?”