13: Phil

After the first night had gone so poorly, I wasn't expecting much. The first step I could take to help them out would be to fix up their house, so I got started right away after I found myself unable to sleep. I was just finishing up with the last of the dishes I found downstairs when Wilbur came down.

"Hi." He grumbled.

"Good morning mate, how are you?"

"I'm fine." Obviously he was not, but whatever.

"Do you want to grocery shopping with me today?"

"What? Why are you going grocery shopping?"

"I think it would be good for you boys to have some fresh food. And it would be good for you to get out of the house."

"Okay, I guess I'll go." He shrugged. I internally cheered. Score one for Phil!

"I'll ask the others if they'd like to go too." I stepped back from the sink and headed upstairs. I assumed the first room belonged to Wilbur, seeing as the door was slightly open. I carried on and knocked on the next door. A groggy Techno answered this one.

"Hey! Would you like to go shopping with us?"

"No." He grumbled, going back inside his room, presumably to sleep more. I decided to leave it at that and knocked on Tommy's door.

"Come in!"

I pushed the door open.

"Hey Tommy, would you like to go grocery shopping with Wilbur and I?"

"Okay!"

"Great, meet me downstairs in 15."

I exited his room and finished off the dishes before getting ready to go. Tommy ran down the stairs a few moments after, and we were set to go. The three of us set off for the store. I really hoped this would be beneficial for them. They all looked awful. I wish I could have gotten Techno to come too, but I guess I'll have to find some other way to get through to him.

We were all just browsing aisles when I noticed Wil lagging behind us.

"Hey Tommy? Will you go pick out some apples for us?"

He nodded and set off towards the produce section. I turned toward Wilbur. He looked paler than normal and was noting his nails. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"You okay mate?"

He nodded quickly.

"Are you sure? We can call it quits if you'd like to go home."

"No, it's fine."

He was starting to tear up now, and his eyes were avoiding mine.

"Come with me."

I grabbed his hand and led him to the bathroom. One of his hands was scratching at his neck, and the other was still in his mouth. I wasn't totally sure what to right now. I was just winging it.

"If you're not comfortable, we can go home. I won't be disappointed if that happens. I want you to feel safe. Are you sure you want to stay?"

Wilbur shook his head a little.

"Okay, let's go get Tommy and check out. We can try this again another time."

He nodded again and silently followed me while I collected Tommy. We quickly checked out the few items we had so far, and then headed home. Tommy announced that he wanted to play Minecraft, and headed upstairs. Wilbur stayed downstairs and watched me unpack what we'd gotten.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled, clearly still feeling a bit panicked.

"Don't apologize for taking care of yourself. Would you like to talk about it?"

"I don't even know what to say."

"Well, just start with how you feel right now."

"Um... I guess I don't know."

"That's okay. You're doing good."

"Thank you." He whispered. I pulled him into a hug.

"Anytime, big man."

He broke away and bit his lip.

"Are you sure you want this? Us and our problems, I mean. It's gotten... bad."

"How so?"

"All we do is fight. Constantly. Techno has gotten really sick. He's mad all the time now, and that makes me mad too. Then we yell and fight and say awful things, an' we just keep doing it! I'm tired of it..."

He was starting to cry.

"Hey, don't worry. I'm here for you. I'm gonna help you guys. I just have to figure out how. I promise, it'll all work out."

"I want to believe you."

"What's stopping you?"

"I don't know." His voice cracked. I tried to go in for another hug.

"Please don't. I'm going back to my room. Please just leave me alone."

I hesitantly nodded and watched him ascend the stairs, listening to him slamming his door. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, this happens. Oh well, I guess it can't all be perfect.