••12••Forgive and Forget••

Ignore the mistakes

Ignore the mistakes

   ◎━━━━━━◎━━━━━━◎

It's not that Taehyung doesn’t understand. He does,and he is willing to understand more. But still,there's a tiny fraction of dissatisfaction in his heart. He himself can't fathom in which way his thoughts are flowing. 

He remembers back to the days,something he hasn’t done in a long while,after Jungkook came to be with him. Before he would often reminisce back to the time in the hospital.Him taking care of Yeon Joo,sometimes spending nights at there,taking her to afternoon and morning walks,her scoldings of concern as to why Taehyung is neglecting his own health and studies,watching her condition worsening and she would lay there on the white sheet bed,pale and frail for two to three days straight. And when she would open her eyes again,she would fondly tease him about his haggard face.

"These dark circles don’t go along with your handsome face,Tae."

Taehyung's heart twists at the thought that she knew. She knew,there wasn’t much time left.The last meeting before her death,she was babbling a lot about life philosophy and advices,their growth of friendship and about how she was so lucky to have him by her side for all this time.

Her ramblings did not annoy him. But he could feel it was a cover,a pretense.Her lively demeanour and cheerful chirps.

All of it.

He had a gut feeling looming over his heart,a restlessness he couldn’t explain.

Next morning,he was notified that Choi Yeon Joo has passed away.

He remembers Namjoon coaxing him patiently,trying to bring him out of the defensive life routine he had settled for.

"Forgive and forget." 

His brother used to utter.

Life is not a white canvas that can be painted the way you want. It wouldn’t go along with your every wishes.Even if something bad happens,people better take up the lesson,learn and let it go. When people choose to move on,they become stronger. Clinging on to your past doesn’t make your life any better. Taehyung acknowledged this,and he did it hard.

He completely understands Jungkook's reasoning behind his acts.His heartfelt intentions are bare,right in front of Taehyung to see.

But he isn’t sure. He had moved on once. He isn’t sure he could have done it again. In that very familiar situation. 

---------

Jungkook peeks from his room,his eyes scanning the living room to see if Taehyung's there.

Empty. 

He huffs,thinking he should have been back from his morning jog by this time. He is taking longer than usual. A thought came to his mind that the older was probably trying to avoid him. Which is why Jungkook found the space next to him empty and cold on the bed. Most of the times,Taehyung just sleeps along with him. It’s Jungkook who wakes him up.

After Jungkook had been discharged from the hospital, the older had insisted they should sleep in the same room,lest Jungkook needs something in the middle of the night.

Jungkook felt aggrieved. 

Sulking, he freshened up and went to the kitchen. By the time he was done preparing the pancake mix,it was already past eight am. He turned the stove to lowest heat as he waited for the dough to swell up,sitting by the kitchen counter. Unconsciously,his gaze fell upon on Taehyung's phone on the couch. Not really knowing why,he picks it up,pressing the side button to turn on the lock screen.

As soon as he saw the screen lit up,his face dropped. Even just a few days ago,Taehyung's wallpaper was a picture of Jungkook. Now it was a picture of random default wallpaper. 

He had been secretly delighted to see that the older still had kept that wallpaper. Now,he feels as much as dejected.

He throws the phone back to where it was,the previous thought of Taehyung ignoring him coming back to his mind. Last night,Taehyung didn’t say anything to him. After Jungkook spoke,he had been quiet for a while before suggesting they should have dinner and they did,at a small restaurant where they ordered jajangmyeon.

After they reached home,the older was still quiet. Both of them took a shower.

Separately,of course.(a/n: lol what did you guys think?)

The younger waited for Taehyung to finish his bath and talk to him. He had to say something about this matter,right? But the older took so long that Jungkook fell asleep.

It’s after 9am that Jungkook's hears the beep beep sound. With a clack the door was opened and Taehyung entered to see the younger rushing out of the bedroom.

"You are back!" Jungkook eagerly says."Usually,you return earlier….",His eyes trail to the bag Taehyung was carrying."What's that?"

Taehyung motions with his chin towards the dining table. He opens the packet while Jungkook is standing beside him. He asks when he sees the logo on the small box Taehyung takes out,"You went to buy a cake?"

He nods,"The one you like."

Jungkook looks at him,puzzled. Why did he suddenly buy him his favourite cake?

Taehyung knew what he was thinking. He casually said,
"To celebrate our getting back together."

Jungkook gapes at him.

"Ehhh?"

The older narrows his eyes at him,"Aren't we getting back together? Am I mistaken?"

"No,no,that...I thought…you wouldn’t....... " 

"I see,I was mistaken." He was about to take the cake away when Jungkook snatches it from Taehyung's hold.

"Not mistaken!" He literally shouts,"We are getting back together! We are boyfriends again!" He blabbers,"You can't take it back,let me tell you!"

Seemingly amused,Taehyung reached out his hand and squeezed Jungkook's chin,making his lips pucker out,"Jeon,you really don't remember?"

Jungkook,confused yet again,blinked his eyes.

The older raised his eyebrows at him,apparently watching his "I-don't-know-what-you-are-saying-" expression,and realized Jungkook really forgot.

Taehyung let out a helpless chuckle,"It’s your birthday today."

"....ah?" 

------------------

Hi guys!  First of all,my story reached 1k! Really I was really surprised and happy! I never expected this,also the votes.My story isn't that great either. So a big thank you to u guys🥺❤️lobe ya all!

Also yoon_shaw939 my darling,ily for your support💕