9

"dude I heard you failed Mr Mason's class" Chris teasingly spoke but rodrick decided to stay quiet, looking at his food tray.

"man how do you even do that?" Ben commented.

"shut up. you know I'm not good at chemistry" rodrick looked up at the two of them with an intimidating look, hopeful that they wouldn't mention it again.

he wasn't bothered by his lack of attention on his studies, but the idea of failing and being less than enough often passed his mind in the worst ways.

"wasn't it that project where you prove whatever dumb idea you ha-" Billy added after a bit. he got cut off by a furious yet quiet rodrick who was looking at him in the eyes.

"I told you, don't fucking talk to me" he spoke.

he held a grudge against Billy for what he did the night before and, considering you weren't at school today, they both thought they messed up big time.

"and apparently my idea was too dumb" he added, Ben and Chris bursting out laughing.

"IT'S NOT FUNNY. do you realize that means no more band practices??" he strictly spoke, looking serious, and everyone immediately stopped laughing.

"we're fucked" Chris mumbled, taking a bite off his food.

"what if you get a tutor?" Ben suggested, stealing a fry from rodrick's tray.

"a hot tutor" Chris emphasized the word 'hot', a smug look on his face.

"you can ask y/n... she loves that stuff" a quiet, hesitant voice was heard and everyone turned to look at Billy.

"I could, but someone made her fucking hate me." rodrick glanced at Billy before getting on his phone to text you, only to realize he doesn't have your number.

"dude I said a HOT tutor!" Chris complained.

"did we miss something?" Ben asked, confused.

the bell rang, rodrick quickly leaving the cafeteria. classes ended and rodrick immediately headed home, throwing his bag on the couch as soon as he stepped foot in.

"oh, rodrick, did you see y/n at school today??" his mom chirped, her and his dad sitting at the kitchen table.

"no mom" rodrick lazily spoke.

"I heard she's sick. because you let her come home on foot yesterday." rodrick's dad mentioned, his voice sharp in rodrick's ears.

"well..."

"I have the best idea. you should ask her to help you with the project" rodrick's mom cut him off.

"yeah... I thought of that too... I have to get her number and-" he got cut off, once again, a look of annoyance in his eyes.

"r-really?? you know what you've earned..." his mom chirped.

"mom bucks~" she took a few mom bucks out of her bag and handed them to rodrick.

"really? cause I talked to the neighbors??" he raised his eyebrows, counting 4 mom bucks in his hands.

"no, it's not about that... it's about you being more open to new friendships and or relationships..." she hesitantly spoke, observing rodrick's facial expressions carefully.

"I'll take it." he smiled brightly.

"and how about you beg her instead of asking her hm?" his dad said, as strictly as he could.

"you saw her walking home?" rodrick sighed and looked down at his hands.

"I sure did. she was crying" Mr Heffley spoke.