14

"it's different..." rodrick spoke after a while, breaking the comfortable silence.

you gave him a slight nod and put down your slice, dusting your hands to grab your can of cola.

"I saw you talking to heather the other day" you chuckled and winked at him playfully, seeing his face light up.

"oh, yeah... I got invited to her birthday party" he perked up, proud of himself, although he only got to go because of his band.

"good job rodrick... have fun with that" you spoke, a soft smile on your face.

you knew heather was a bitch, but it wasn't your business at all, was it? you weren't invited to the party anyway.

you finished your drink and got up to throw the can away when rodrick pulled you back down.

"ow you fucker" you winced, your knee slamming on the hard floor, a loud thud catching billy's attention.

"not him again..." he scoffed as you looked at his frown, confused.

billy started walking to the vehicle before noticing you loosely in rodrick's arms. rodrick quickly pushed you away and looked away as billy stood in front of you.

"need any help with that?" he spoke, glancing at rodrick.

now, what the fuck would billy expect you to say? "oh yes please save me from that hot dude and his grip that I'm completely comfortable with"

you noticed he was holding a long, pointy stick with some garbage stuck on it. without a second thought, you thew your cola can close to his feet, rodrick letting out a soft chuckle.

"skipping school together now? I thought you hated him..." billy pierced the can, his eyes shooting daggers through yours.

"jealous, twink?" rodrick crossed his arms, a sigh escaping your lips.

"I wonder what people would say if they knew you're dating her" he emphasized her, his words making you want to ran him over with rodrick's van.

"we're not together" you calmly spoke, rodrick confused as to why you'd let billy disrespect you.

"of course you're not. why would he go out with you?" billy scoffed. the thought that he might be gay passed your mind for a second.

"lying is bad, y/n" rodrick pulled you closer to him by your shoulders, although his hands were nearly ready to grab your waist.

he looked up at billy with a devilish smirk as you were trying to push his head away, visibly disgusted by rodrick's touch.

"disgusting... you really could've done better" billy scoffed, his eyes pinned on rodrick's hands.

you quickly burst out laughing, finally getting rodrick's hands off your shoulders.

"like what, heather??" you spoke your thoughts out loud, the look on everyone's faces making you quickly regret your existence.

"at least she's presentable" billy calmly turned and walked away, silence flooding the back of rodrick's van.

you stays quiet, billy's words echoing in your head. some tears that wouldn't escape accumulated in your eyes, although the only one to notice was rodrick.

"he's right" you got up and walked to the passenger seat before slowly sitting down, leaving rodrick to quickly put the pizza box away.

a while later, rodrick hopped in the van and quickly drove off, a smirk on his face.

"cheer up" he spoke, his eyes scanning the road.

you stayed silent, your eyes not stinging anymore although the tears were still there. you watched as rodrick's hand reached for your head, attempting to ruffle your hair before you quickly pulled away.

"I beat him up..." he gently bit his lower lip, waiting impatiently for your reaction.

"YOU WHAT?? WHY??" you felt your body tense up, your eyes wide.

"cause he called you ugly" rodrick smirked wider as he slowly stopped at the red light, turning to look at you.

"he wouldn't have if you could just shut up for two minutes..." you kept looking at the road, refusing to meet rodrick's eyes.

"I tried to help" he glanced at the light turning green, a short sigh sounding in the car's silence.

you both stayed quiet for a while before you decided to speak up.

"where are we going?" you looked around, noticing rodrick has been driving in circles this whole time.

"I have no idea, you were the one that sat down first..." rodrick mumbled, a chuckle escaping your lips.

"it's cold anyways... we couldn't stay for longer." you smiled softly at yourself.

"you're cold? rodrick glanced at you and started to think.

suddenly, the van took a sharp turn and you started driving back to your house, or that's what you thought.

rodrick jumped out of the van and shut his door before turning to help you get down.

"you busted your knee again?" he smirked, looking at the soft bruise under your fishnets.

"YOU busted my knee again." you chuckled and started walking to you house before you felt rodrick's hand stop you.

"I'm sorry" he softly spoke, strangely making your heart melt.

"puppy eyes don't work me..." you smiled softly, your gaze never leaving his.

"they do work on me" he chuckled, your eyes quickly turning away from his.

"noted" you laughed and walked to your house, rodrick slowly following you inside.

you both sat on the couch, quietly enjoying each other's company. just silently looking out the window, when you caught a glimpse of rodrick's mum.

"so, um... does your mum know we skipped school?" you spoke, watching her slowly walk towards your house.

"n... no..." rodrick snapped his head to you as your eyes were following his mum's steps in terror.

you both accepted your fate of a ten minute scolding session, but we're surprised by how calmly Mrs heffley took everything.

---

"so if you two wanted to spend some extra time together, you can maybe have a little sleepover..." rodrick's mum nudged you playfully, awkwardly winking as you and rodrick looked at her, dumbfounded.

"why?" you quietly spoke, not wanting to seem rude.

"cause you obviously can't have enough of me" you could feel rodrick's smirk as he talked, even though you wouldn't turn to look at him.

"uh, huh... maybe reverse the roles a bit" Mrs heffley gave you another wink, making rodrick quickly get up from his seat.

"that's enough, mum..." he spoke as he made his way outside.