13

it's been a few days after your first "tutoring" lesson with rodrick and you couldn't stop looking for a certain ring.

you couldn't understand how you lost it, as you hardly ever take it off even if it's too big to fit.

it was a ring you found in your parent's room when you were little and since then you've kept it in a drawer, until a few months ago you started wearing it.

you tried to balance the loss of accessories with a smudge of eyeliner and turns out it looked really good on you.

you surprisingly got a few compliments at school, or some girls saying it's "too much" but you didn't mind.

Tuesday morning, you got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. you looked at yourself in the mirror, gagging jokingly at your own reflection.

"you're gonna be late again" your mum shouted from the kitchen, although you could say the same to her.

you checked the time, quickly styled your hair and rushed to your bedroom. you looked through your closet and realized, you never wear the clothes you actually like.

"y/nnn where are my shoes??" your sister ran in your room.

you rushed out, looking for your sisters little boots and when you came back to your bedroom, you witnessed her little hands playing with a pair of fishnets.

"why do you never wear these??" she complained, amazed by the stretchy fishnets.

you let out a groan, gave her the boots and pushed her out of the room, your eyes quickly scanning your closet.

"she has a point..." you quietly mumbled, picking a basic minimal outfit to wear to school.

you watched yourself in the mirror, imagining how awkward it'd be if you went to school wearing your favorite clothes.

"you know what-" a honk cut your sentence short, making you glanced out of the window.

---

rodrick was waiting for you in his van, not knowing you weren't half ready for school. you quickly grabbed your bag and made your way to the vehicle, rodrick letting out a chuckle.

"you look like a mess today..." he spoke, rather calmly.

"thanks" you slightly rolled your eyes and looked outside the window.

"were you supposed to pick me up today?" you softly spoke after a while of silence.

rodrick stayed quiet, a hint of guilt in his eyes. he parked the car in the school parking lot, quick to tell you to stay in the car.

"is something wrong?" you mumbled, finding his behavior odd.

rodrick reached his hand and you noticed the ring you were looking for all these days in his fingertips.

you gently took it, watching his fingers tense up as they brushed yours. you looked up at him and he remained silent, his gaze finally meeting yours.

"are you alright?" you calmly spoke, earning a nod in response.

you got out of rodrick's car and shut the door, a sigh escaping his parted lips.

wish I could hug him...

you thought, walking to the gates. you quickly realized that the gates were locked so you walked back to rodrick's van.

"it's locked..." you spoke as rodrick helped you in. you closed the door and looked at him, waiting for him to say something.

"I... knew that..." he gave you his usual playful smirk.

you chuckled at it for once, making rodrick smile at your reaction. you usually rolled your eyes or stayed serious, but you thought his mood was already bad enough.

"pizza." you demanded, earning another smile from rodrick, your eyes meeting for a second before you drove off.

"skipping school, l/n?" he smirked again, glancing at you as he drove to a near pizza place.

"oh my goodness. me? never, Mr heffley" you heard your chuckles sync, watching rodrick park his vehicle.

you stretched to get off his van when his hand stopped you, rodrick earning a strong glance.

"I'm gonna order. stay here." he demanded.

"oh no" you spoke quietly, a chuckle escaping your lips.

rodrick came back after a while, carrying a pizza box and a little bag. he hopped in the van and threw all the food on you, ignoring your complaints.

"what did you get?" you spoke as he drove to a near park, the same park you went to the other day.

"my favorite." he smirked and got out of his car.

you followed him outside and watched him open the back of his van. to your surprise, the back was cleaned and tidy, some posters under the window and a clean looking blanket on the floor.

you both stepped in and sat down, taking a slice each to start with. the next few minutes went by quietly, enjoying the soft breeze and, weirdly, each other's company.

"this is nice" he spoke quietly, catching you off guard.

"the pizza?" you tilted your head a bit, taking another bite off the pizza slice you were holding.

"this..." rodrick took a sip of his cola, giving you a glance.

you finished your slice and got on your phone, noticing it was time for the third period to start.

"are you really okay with this?" you quietly spoke,your eyes pinned on your phone.

"what? we're not making out or anything." you felt your cheeks heat up a bit,your face nonchalant.

"you wish" you put on your fake confidence, earning a chuckle from rodrick.

"I mean, I'm a year younger than you... isn't it weird hanging out?" you added, taking a sip from your cola, looking up at rodrick.

"well, if you put it that way..." you both stayed silent for a while, letting the conversation slowly fade away.