17

the bell rang, meaning it was time for lunch. you hadn't seen rodrick or his friends anywhere that day, so you decided to sit alone.

you approached the usual isolated table in the corner of the cafeteria, sitting alone and scrolling through your phone.

you sat quietly when a pale hand took the phone out of your hands and the three boys sat on your table, giggling.

"you're not funny" you scoffed and grabbed your phone from Ben's grip.

"somebody's in a bad mood" rodrick smirked and moved to sit next to you.

you all started eating quietly, Ben and Chris giggling on their phone. you heard a notification on your phone and opened Instagram, checking on the picture you just posted.

"billy liked your post... you two are good now?" Ben turned to you, Chris stuffing his mouth with his untouched food.

"no" you bluntly stated, eating slowly.

"he's a fucking simp" chris commented with his mouth full, making everyone laugh.

"wait, you follow her?" rodrick snapped his gaze from you to his friends, looking dumbfounded.

"you don't?" Ben asked after a few moments of silence.

"oh wow, so rude" you chuckled, searching rodrick's username in your followers.

rodrick leaned on you and grabbed his phone, opening Instagram as well. you tilted your phone towards him as you leaned on each other, quickly getting a new follower notification.

rodrick refreshed his feed and your most recent post appeared on the screen. rodrick put his phone down and you continued eating quietly, still leaning on each other.

 rodrick put his phone down and you continued eating quietly, still leaning on each other

"who's that?" he pointed at the "and 1 other" text.

"Ben" you spoke, your eyes pinned on your food.

"oh... you look like a mess" rodrick looked at you with a smirk on, waiting for a reaction.

"a hot mess" you looked back at him, returning his corny smirk.

"y/n, why don't you do that cute makeup for school?" Chris cut the moment short, catching you off guard.

"oh... uh..." you looked away, pretending to look at your phone.

"cute??" rodrick scoffed, death glaring Chris and Ben.

"hot even" Ben smirked at rodrick.

"shut up dude" rodrick bursted out loud.

the bell rang and you quietly got up, slowly walking to your next class.

"so, project tonight?" rodrick quickly caught up with you and started walking close to you.

"sure... your place?" you looked up at him, receiving a soft nod.

"you won't have any band things going on?" you chuckled and put your phone away.

"oh, I'm still grounded" he mumbled, looking down at you.

"oh yeah... will your mum let me come over?" you fiddled with your fingers.

"she does love you" rodrick gave you his usual smirk, a chuckle escaping your lips.

"runs in the family?" you smirked back teasingly.

"maybe" rodrick smirked wider.

you chuckled as you walked in your class, leaving him behind. you sat down and stayed dumbfounded for a while, trying to analyze what just happened.

Ben and Chris, that were watching the whole moment unfold, came up to rodrick as soon as you left.

"that was definitely flirting" Ben laughed at rodrick's startled expression.

"what? I didn't" he tried to defend himself.

"both of you did. ask her to wear makeup to school for me, please" Chris playfully nudged rodrick's arm.

"definitely not" he bluntly responded.

"you're so fucking jealous" Ben laughed and gave rodrick a firm pat on the back.

"I'm not" rodrick scoffed. the feeling of excitement he previously had was visibly gone and replaced with annoyance.

"yeah yeah... you're jealous cause she blushed when Chris called her cute" Ben wiggled his eyebrows.

she blushed when we fucking cuddled, Benjamin.

"I'm not jealous" rodrick quickly brushed his thoughts off, not wanting to reveal his "soft side" to the two idiots.

"you're over heather already?" Ben asked, surprised.

"for a while now" rodrick mumbled and walked in his class slowly.

"right. you still haven't finished that project? we have to practice" Chris complained, the boys sitting close to each other to not cut the conversation short.

"I'm trying" rodrick leaned back on his chair, stretching and yawning.

"cutie distracting you?" Ben chuckled, clicking his pen.

"no..." rodrick hesitated, even though he was being honest.

"so, yes?" the boys laughed quietly as rodrick gave Ben a quick nod, the teacher walking in the classroom.

"she'll like you back eventually" Chris whispered.

"I never said I like her" rodrick glanced at him, taking fake notes on his notebook.

"so you're saying you don't?" Ben spoke loud enough to catch the teacher's attention.

"Mr heffley. I see you still owe me that project" the teacher stood over rodrick's desk, towering over him.

"I'm... yes sir, I'm working on it" rodrick was quick to respond, startled.

"and make sure it's readable this time. and about chemistry" he scoffed walking away from rodrick's desk.

the class started laughing, rodrick quietly sinking on his desk, embarrassed, although he often doesn't show it.