16

you sat down and looked up at rodrick as he quietly sat on the edge of your bed. he nervously fiddled with his fingers and rings, his gaze fixed on the ground.

"you don't seem okay..." you tilted towards him to catch a glimpse of his face.

rodrick looked at you, your eyes meeting for a second before shaking his head.

"I'm fine" he simply mumbled, his eyes falling to his hands.

"rodrick..." you sighed and sat up on your knees, moving closer to him.

"why would I be so dumb?" he stopped playing with his rings, giving all his attention to your answer.

"what happened?" you tilted your head, visibly worried or rather confused.

"it's embarrassing..." rodrick parted his lips to continue but no words flew out.

"do you want to talk about it?" you softly spoke, your voice sweeter than usual.

rodrick shook his head once more and started quietly observing your bedroom, taking in all it's little details as a distraction.

he doesn't trust me... you thought to yourself as you got up, not knowing what to do with his current state.

you watched rodrick sit on your bed and rest his back on the wall as you looked through your playlists, trying to find something calmer and softer than what you usually listen to.

"need a hug?" you mumbled, the words pouring out without any time for second thoughts.

"maybe..." he turned to look at you, his eyes scanning your every move.

the boy needs comfort...

you let an old playlist play on low volume and quickly sat next to rodrick, on your knees.

rodrick watched you move closer as he slipped in your hesitantly opened arms, your warm embrace making his body melt on yours.

"do I look soft right now?" he whispered, your body still slightly tense from the strange contact.

"no... you don't look dumb either" you whispered back, earning a soft chuckle that made your lips curve into a smile.

a few moments of comfortable silence between you passed, the songs quietly playing in the background as rodrick's head slowly fell on your shoulder.

"we can talk about it... if you want" you softly whispered.

"it's just dumb... I really thought Heather liked me" rodrick sighed, your heart dropping for a second before replying.

"that's her loss" you mumbled, rodrick resting his chin on your shoulder.

"I tried too much..." he spoke. the only response you could give him was a soft nod, your thoughts running wild.

"wasn't worth it?" you looked back at him, your faces not too far apart.

rodrick looked away in shame, staying quiet for a while before the music stopped, making the comfortable silence suddenly unbearable.

"your sister's head is empty or something?" he tried to change the subject, clenching his jaw to remind you of the headbutt incident.

"your jaw still hurts?" you spoke softly, suddenly brushing off any thoughts about your previous conversation.

rodrick gave you a soft nod, turning to look at you. you gently touched his jawline, heavily hesitant about it.

you watched as rodrick's eyes fluttered shut, his face features visibly relaxing. you started to caress his jaw, his lips parting after a while.

"stop babying me..." he whispered, completely relaxed under your touch.

"shut up... you like it" you chuckled quietly, taking your hand away as rodrick laid his head deeper on your shoulder.

"bet you fucking love to baby me..." he mumbled, your heart fluttering at the closeness.

you hummed and placed a hand in his soft hair, slowly running your fingers through it.

"fucking hell y/n..." you heard him whisper after a while, his body relaxed on yours as his eyes remained shut.

you continued peacefully playing with rodrick's fluffy hair, basically cuddling at that point, until the door flew open and Greg burst in the room.

your body quickly tensed up, your hand slipping out of the boy's hair. rodrick calmly sat up and watched as you looked away from his little brother, embarrassed.

"mum said you should eat dessert" Greg put two pieces of cake on your nightstand, before starting to walk away, only to stop at the doorway.

"oh, and don't get caught kissing" he wiggled his eyebrows, earning a heavy yell from rodrick.

"GET OUT" he shouted, making Greg quickly run out of the room and shut the door, giggling.

you gave rodrick his slice, chuckling at the interaction between the boys. you started eating, rodrick letting out a deep sigh and rubbing his eyes in frustration.